pineapple 160g 0.98 servings
    cherries [16] 0.76 servings
    cauliflower 291g 4.69 servings
    oranges 117g 2.00 servings

total: 20 servings
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Um, I went to an all-you-can-eat buffet for Christmas dinner. I actually was very proud of my choices (lots of veggies) except for three words: Garlic Mashed Potatoes. While technically a vegetable, they didn't do much to promote my healthy eating. :)

1 C spinach, raw
    2 C Romaine, chopped
    1/4 C broccoli, raw
    2 TBSP olives
    1/2 C Cubed, baked butternut squash
    1/2 C Yams, mashed
    Mushrooms, raw (not a whole serving)
    Sliced red onion (not a whole serving)
    Tomato, sliced, raw (not a whole serving)
    Raisins (not a whole serving)
    (& garlic mashed potatoes)
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Frozen bananas and a little water in a blender make a delicious ice cream substitute. Bananas are high in resistant starch. A great weight loss food and so easy on the go!

Wow, I like bananas and have one in a smoothie most days (frozen like you mentioned), but I don't eat more because of the sugar content. But it seems to be working great for you! You must be getting your potassium, too.
  • cjsacto
    Options
    I should eat vegetables i dont LOL is it bad to cook your vegetable i heard it kills the nutrients

It's bad to overcook your vegetables - they don't taste nearly as good and you lose some nutrients into the water if you boil them, for instance. However, some vegetables' nutrient delivery is improved by light cooking, according to my HS biology teacher. Your body can't break down the cellulose very well so some work great as roughage when raw but you get more nutrients when they are lightly cooked. I guess they can get broken down too much if overcooked. I don't know exactly which, but I remember the example of carrots. (It's been almost 25 years since high school but I've heard this from other sources, too.) Now, I like raw carrots much better than cooked so that's how I eat them anyway.

Some people swear never to eat canned or frozen. Some say only eat raw. Some say eat only dark green or orange (as opposed to light green like iceberg lettuce) because they have higher nutrient content. IMO, if you find the ones you like prepared the way you like, eat them. It's better than no vegetables at all. If you use any sauces of course that ups the calories and can turn a low-calorie food into a high calorie, high fat food, but it doesn't take away the benefits of the vegetable itself. An exception would be deep-fried. :sick:

Here's an article about whether to cook veggies (sorry, there's an ad popup to get past): http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier
  • cjsacto
    Options
    corn on the cob
    lettuce
    tomato
    onion

Yikes I need to do better! Does anyone know of a low calorie nutrition drink with fruits and veggies' s?

I like Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness. My mother was advised by a doctor to drink that or the Odwalla green one when she cannot make her own smoothies (she was told to have major doses of veggie smoothies every day so she gets a crazy amount of servings to address a specific medical issue - not weight loss).

Green Goodness does have significant sugar, sodium, and 140 calories per serving I think - you have to take that into consideration but the ingredients are good and it is tasty - don't let the thick green ooze scare you. It's not cheap. I think it's in every grocery store.

If you have any time, look for some good smoothie recipes. I only make one very basic smoothie (frozen banana, berries, ground flaxseed, almond milk, plain yogurt, soy protein powder) and it's mostly for protein, but lots of people have recipes that are more creative and include greens.
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Does homemade microwave potato chips made from a raw potato count?

I have no idea what a nutritionist would say, but potato is a vegetable. It's important to get servings of greens, though.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had Golden Lentil and Tomato Soup (1 cup), mixed berries (1 cup), and 3/4 cup gherkin pickles.

Do gherkin pickles count?? I hope so, or I did really badly today!!
  • cjsacto
    Options
    ^^ Pickles are made from cucumber so I'd say yes, veggie serving. Don't know what a nutritionist would say. It has some vitamins & minerals though: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3007/2
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Day After Christmas

Spinach
    Green Olives
    Purple Onion
    Blueberries (not full serving)
    Raspberries (not full serving)
    Carrots
    Apple
  • jaena4
    Options
    1 cup (maybe a bit more?) of fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and kiwi)
    1 greek salad at Panera (part of a you-pick-two
    5 oz. grape juice
    1 banana
  • jaena4
    Options
    Also, sadly, a cup of Spaghetti Os - tomato sauce :)
  • cjsacto
    Options
    Wed:
    1 C spinach, raw
    1/2 large beefsteak tomato
    1 med. yellow squash, roasted w/skin (8 oz)
    1/4 avocado, raw
    1 banana, frozen
    1 C blueberries, frozen
    6 dried apricot halves
    4 oz. organic cranberry/pomegranate juice

7 servings, plus the juice
  • 5starshelly
    5starshelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: Blueberries, Strawberries,
    Lunch: an Apple
    Dinner: A green Salad with Lettuce, Cucumbers and Carrots. Plus do sauces count? There was more than a full serving on Tomatoes in the Lasagna I had for dinner.
    So I think it's 4-5
  • 5starshelly
    5starshelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some people on here need to get over it. How hard is it to eat some broccoli? I eat 900g of broccoli/cauliflower every single day.

It's pretty easy:
    Cook it
    Put it in your mouth
    Chew it
    Swallow it

If the taste is so bad, get some tomato ketchup or something.
    OOO! I 2nd this sentiment. But I also feel every one here who doesn't want to eat broccoli that stinks or that is SQUISHY OR MUSHY! BLECH. My cousins DH made it for us one year for Christmas and we have been baking it every since! You preheat the oven @ 350 for 15minutes and then put it in a casserole dish for 10-13minutes so it's hot all the way through but still CRUNCHY. WE LOVE IT. And if you need extra incentive shred cheese on it or add breadcrumbs! But the crunchy is SOO good!
  • cass678910
    cass678910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am really dissappointed in myself so far with this challenge..I think I only had 1-2 servings yesterday. The only thing I had was a veggie chicken patty form Morning Star. How many servings is that? Ugh. Definitely need to get back on track today.
  • kcoftx
    Options
    Some people on here need to get over it. How hard is it to eat some broccoli? I eat 900g of broccoli/cauliflower every single day.

It's pretty easy:
    Cook it
    Put it in your mouth
    Chew it
    Swallow it

If the taste is so bad, get some tomato ketchup or something.
    OOO! I 2nd this sentiment. But I also feel every one here who doesn't want to eat broccoli that stinks or that is SQUISHY OR MUSHY! BLECH. My cousins DH made it for us one year for Christmas and we have been baking it every since! You preheat the oven @ 350 for 15minutes and then put it in a casserole dish for 10-13minutes so it's hot all the way through but still CRUNCHY. WE LOVE IT. And if you need extra incentive shred cheese on it or add breadcrumbs! But the crunchy is SOO good!

I don't have a problem with eating veggies. I'm not great at cooking/seasoning them well. I fall back on spinach salad but I don't want one every single day. I've been joining these veggie challenges partially to prompt myself to find new ways of makin stuff so I'm not relying on the same 3 canned veggies and a salad all the time. I have a few new additions lately due to these challenges.

Also, I think not everyone grew up with this habit and changing it can take time. Personally, I applaud everyone who joins this challenge for whatever reason they join.

As for the recipe, are you referring to roasting the broccoli? Roasting veggies is something new I've been experimenting with recently. I didn't see olive oil or anything else mentioned in your description though (other than the optional stuff) so I'm not quite sure this is what you are referring to. Please clarify so I can try something new.
  • kcoftx
    Options
    12/28

Purple Onion
    Edamame
    Spinach
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Bell Pepper
    Avocado
    Dried Cranberries
    Apple
    Sparkling Apple-Cranberry Juice
    Raspberries

Well, I've stuck to spinach salad still but I did add avocado and edamame today. I need to cook some veggies tomorrow.
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How much fits in a measure cup? I always ask myself how much is one cup, because I have cups in different sizes in my cupboard. And I have measure cups in different sizes too. Can any American out there help - think this is something american, isn't it?
  • cass678910
    Options
    Yesterday (Thursday) I ate:

baby carrots (1 serving)
    1 cup canned green beans (2 servings)

I am getting better with vegetables, but I need to work a lot on fruit.
  • cass678910
    Options
    How much fits in a measure cup? I always ask myself how much is one cup, because I have cups in different sizes in my cupboard. And I have measure cups in different sizes too. Can any American out there help - think this is something american, isn't it?

the amount that fit in a measuring cup is 8 ounces..I am not sure if this helps at all! we have a measuring cup that fits that amount, not like a cup you drink out of. Am I confusing you? lol