maximum period for protein diet?

Options
hello there folks !

after million diets i decided to try the high protein diet....i was in shock!...1st time in my life i never experienced any carvings and stomach felt full most of the time...i was really happy.

i was also scared when i saw in some sites saying u must not stick long for high protein diet .

how long maximum i can stick to it? i only need 5 months to lose all the weight...please tell me its ok :(

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    So, let's say you keep to this diet. What will stop you from gaining back all the weight once you go back to eating normally?

Honestly, your best bet is to make positive changes to the way you eat and to control portion size so that you learn to be healthy as you lose weight. Also, if you are feeling really hungry after more than a week or two on reduced calories, then you are eating too few calories.

Edit: The dangers of a high-protein diet are not well documented, but most professionals believe that you can get up to 30% of your calories from protein without an ill effects.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    How high? You can sustain "high" protein at least 5 months depending on how high it actually is. Open your diary? Or give us some numbers to work with? I eat between 20 and 30% of my calories from protein daily and have for about a year. And I intend to keep eating like this until a health professional tells me it's damaging my health. As long as you aren't totally cutting out carbs and/or fats, you should be fine. Just be sure to eat a balanced diet, and if it's a little heavy on protein, no big deal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    what is high protein for you?

for a 200 lb guy, 200 g is high but not going to hurt you
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    That would depend on whether or not the high protein is pushing other necessities out of your diet.
  • And please, for your heart's sake, keep that protein LEAN.
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    hey thx for comments guys

im abt 297 pounds and 5'6 or 5'7 tall

im talking like /:

egg and turkey sausage on breakfast
    chicken and salad on lunch
    tuna with salad and cottage cheese at dinner

and x2 protein shakes at the 2 snacks
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

im talking like /:

for some good reading check out

alan aragon
    leangains
    lyle mcdonald
  • SideSteel
    Options

im talking like /:

Please post your protein/fat/carb intake in grams (not percent). Please post total calorie intake.
  • sabrekism
    sabrekism Posts: 113 Member
    Options

im talking like /:

Please post your protein/fat/carb intake in grams (not percent). Please post total calorie intake.

sadly this is my weakest part...i dont exactly count grams only calories :(
  • SideSteel
    Options

im talking like /:

sadly this is my weakest part...i dont exactly count grams only calories :(

MFP tracks this for you automatically if you choose to in your food diary.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your best bet is to make positive changes to the way you eat and to control portion size so that you learn to be healthy as you lose weight.
    Agreed.

Is your current diet plan sustainable?
    Could you eat this way for the rest of your life?

If you make a lifestyle change, you can control your weight in the long term. The problem with diets is that they are typically short term. The weight loss from diets is also short term.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I went on the dukan diet on 12 /31/12. It had 4 phases and on line coaching... I, too, finally got on a plan that i could live with. I wilwl tell you i counted calories and logged them daily and added more exercise to my life...it was the combination.

Istick to the second phase most days on maintenance and. Add back nuts, avocados and banana or apple to my meals. You absolutely are allowed all foods eventually on the dukan plan, but the initial phase is pur e lean protein...

I lost 45 pounds - at 54 years old! I changed my whole mindset about food and protein is my go to food if i am hungry.