Tilapia

Options
(Hope I posted this under the correct category :blushing: )

Okay, so I thought I'd venture to a new kind of fish and I decided on Tilapia.
My sister "warned" me that it tastes like dirt, but I wanted to find out for myself.

Well, I cooked some tonight for dinner and it tasted like dirt. (Yes, I know what dirt tastes like :laugh: )
Has anyone else found it to taste "dirty"?

Also, any suggestions for *delicious* kinds of fish I could try out would be greatly appreciated :bigsmile:

Thanks so much!
:flowerforyou: T

Replies

• Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like trader joes cajun salmon fillets! Delish!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to eat more fish (I don't eat any) I was going to try a yummy sounding salad for our date night coming w/ a blackened tilapia filet... then I found that tilapia is a cichlid (species of fish).... Well trying tilapia went out the window since we have only cichlids in our fish tank! ha! But you telling me it tastes like dirt helps! lol... I hear that salmon is very good, tuna steaks and mahi mahi

I have tried mahi mahi (bought as fresh as you can get) it had a good flavor but to me it was the texture of gritty chicken. (I'm a texture eater)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    That's so strange! I have only started liking fish within the last year and a half, and I started out with tilapia b/c it was so mild tasting. I put lots of lemon pepper on it so maybe it masks the dirt flavor haha. I also like cod and halibut, oh and mahi mahi! Tilapia was the cheapest though, so that's what I went for :blushing:

I would give another mild white fish a chance...it's so good for you! I don't like salmon b/c I think they're too fishy. It's all a matter of taste. Maybe you could go to the grocery fish counter and get a few filets of different fish and try them all out to decide what you like best :flowerforyou:
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    hey! I've never known tilapia to taste like dirt... so maybe I'm used to it, since I've been eating tilapia my whole life, or maybe you can try different seasonings... I actually love tilapia! I am looking for more types of fish to eat though. I too am a texture eater and cat fish is way to "soft" for me to eat... it feels raw in my mouth!

What about whiting, salmon, tuna, tuna steaks, mahi mahi, flounder, perch.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I used to hate salmon growing up because we'd get tons of canned smoked salmon from my grandparent's fishing trips, but I tried it just this last year (after a 10+ yr hiatus) and LOVED it!! :love: So salmon is my fish of choice, but I also like cod and tuna to name a few. We bought some frozen tilapia to try and I'm glad I haven't opened it, because if everyone's saying it tastes like dirt then I might return it. Then again, maybe my husband will eat it - he eats anything! :laugh:
  • Chellsy302
    Chellsy302 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's so strange! I have only started liking fish within the last year and a half, and I started out with tilapia b/c it was so mild tasting. I put lots of lemon pepper on it so maybe it masks the dirt flavor haha. I also like cod and halibut, oh and mahi mahi! Tilapia was the cheapest though, so that's what I went for :blushing:

I would give another mild white fish a chance...it's so good for you! I don't like salmon b/c I think they're too fishy. It's all a matter of taste. Maybe you could go to the grocery fish counter and get a few filets of different fish and try them all out to decide what you like best :flowerforyou:

I agree...I like tilapia because it is mild tasting and not fishy...I don't think it tastes like dirt but everyone has different tastes I guess. There is a difference in buying frozen filets and the actual whole fish. I like both but the whole fish has better taste and texture.
  • Chellsy302
    Chellsy302 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well, I cooked some tonight for dinner and it tasted like dirt. (Yes, I know what dirt tastes like :laugh: )

I just realized something....I don't know what dirt tastes like.... :laugh:
  • rtrautmann
    Options
    It might be cliche, but I like tuna. I think it works great in a few different ways.
    It's really good to add to a basic pasta salad for some sort of protein, and then of course tuna sandwiches and my mom makes a killer tuna casserole.
    Salmon is also a popular choice, but I've only ever had a bite of it!
  • ideretic
    Options
    i actually like Tilapia and wouldn't agree it tastes like dirt... maybe it depends how you make it... i like mine with coated with a bit of red chili powder mixed with regular flower pen fried on a bit of olive oil ... if you like garlic it goes well with it too!
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options

I just realized something....I don't know what dirt tastes like.... :laugh:

I grew up playing baseball so you tend to "eat a lot of dirt" when sliding :blushing:
    FYI, it doesn't taste good :wink:
  • OneMission
    Options
    i actually like Tilapia and wouldn't agree it tastes like dirt... maybe it depends how you make it... i like mine with coated with a bit of red chili powder mixed with regular flower pen fried on a bit of olive oil ... if you like garlic it goes well with it too!

This is actually how I made it...strange, but everyone's tastebuds are different :smile:
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this!!!! I too tried Tilapia because people say it is milder and not a "fishy" tasting fish. I have tried three different times and each time did not like it and thought it tasted like dirt too. The people who told me to try it told me I was crazy. Ha!!! someone else think so too - can't wait to run tell them. :bigsmile:

As far as trying other fish....I have had some good luck with salmon but I have to eat with season salt or have also done a teriyaki glaze. I can't do it just plain. Have you ever heard of the company Tastefully Simple? They have Pommegranite Chipotle Sauce that is just fabulous and I have baked salmon with that on top - That has been my favorite so far. And if you have a choice try to get fresh caught vs farm raised - though both are okay the fresh does taste better.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I salt and pepper it and roll it in cornmeal. Then I pan fry it with olive oil flavored Pam. I like it myself. Salmon is way too fishy for me. I never did develop a taste for the stuff.
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Tilapia can have a dirt like taste if it just cooked by itself. It tends to take of the flavor or other things with it. I grill it with lemon, peppers, onion, and mushrooms. Season with some garlic and pepper. It is really quite good.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I salt and pepper it and roll it in cornmeal. Then I pan fry it with olive oil flavored Pam. I like it myself. Salmon is way too fishy for me. I never did develop a taste for the stuff.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That is just too funny. My husband and i were just talking about Tilapia. Neither of us can bring our selves to eat it after seeing it on an episode of dirty jobs. They were using Tilapia to clean up after other fish, they eat the other fishes waste, YUK!!!!!!!!!

kat
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Okay.....I HATE fish but tilapia is one that tastes like nothing to me so I can eat it just fine. I've NEVER had it taste like dirt before. Was it frozen or fresh?
  • OneMission
    Options
    That is just too funny. My husband and i were just talking about Tilapia. Neither of us can bring our selves to eat it after seeing it on an episode of dirty jobs. They were using Tilapia to clean up after other fish, they eat the other fishes waste, YUK!!!!!!!!!

kat

:noway: *gagging sounds*

Had I but known! LOL :laugh:
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    (Hope I posted this under the correct category :blushing: )

Okay, so I thought I'd venture to a new kind of fish and I decided on Tilapia.
    My sister "warned" me that it tastes like dirt, but I wanted to find out for myself.

Also, any suggestions for *delicious* kinds of fish I could try out would be greatly appreciated :bigsmile:

Thanks so much!
    :flowerforyou: T

I have eaten a little dirt in my life to. Mainly in the army but also in baseball... Lol anyway.. Tilapia is ok.. Not my fave. I eat fish 3-5 times a week and I like Flounder, WHite Fish, Ocean perch and every once in a while tuna or catfish. Niot very into salmon. Overall I lovvvveee seafood and eat shrimp to.