Strength machine successes?

Options
I keep reading how the machines are basically a waste of time, you must use free weights to build muscle, you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit etc.
Anyone out there have pictures that shows their success in building muscle(even smaller amounts) while losing weight and using the machines? Am I wasting my time on these machines?

Replies

• faireplay
    Options
    Hmmm no responses doesn't bode well for a positive answer.... :-(
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I keep reading how the machines are basically a waste of time, you must use free weights to build muscle, you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit etc.
    Anyone out there have pictures that shows their success in building muscle(even smaller amounts) while losing weight and using the machines? Am I wasting my time on these machines?

yep, not sure you can see, but I do have a few pics.

7990108580_043c455018_q.jpg
    IMG00723-20120915-2013 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

and

7992831712_49445df87e_q.jpg
    IMG00724-20120916-1008 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

the picture on the left is about what I looked like when I started. The picture on the right is last month. Same shirt!!

8213431311_eecd2df7b1.jpg
    gray top pics by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
    I used the regular strength machines for 8-9 months, then the cable machines for about a month...for the last 2 months or so I have used a combination of cable machines, dumbbells, and barbells.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been eating at a deficit for a year and never picked up a weight before that I will just let the pic speak for its self.

HPxBi.jpg

You DO NOT need to EAT a surplus but you must HAVE one (your fat) that is what fat does, store what you dont need to use later(yes is has a function other then making you look bad).
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    (Be patient with responses- you are posting on Xmas eve, after all)

Of course you can have success with machines! The thing with machines is that they isolate muscles, as opposed to free weights which allow you to work many muscles over many parts of your body. So, in defense of NOT using machines, you can have a more efficient workout by staying off the machines. But, in favor of using machines, you don't need a spotter. I use a combo of both and it's working for me. :)
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    PS-
    I keep reading how the machines are basically a waste of time.

Working out isn't a waste of time. I'll take a machine any day of the week instead of sitting around doing nothing. ;)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Let me also add...

the basic machines have a set range of motion. They pretty much ONLY work the target muscles.

the cable machines do not have a set range of motion, so they require some stabilizing muscles. You work the target muscle, and some muscles near them to keep the correct range of motion

free weights work the target muscle and near by stabilizing muscles....but then may also work muscles you wouldn't even dream are targeted. When I do incline chest presses, I am working my pecs, several different arm muscles, AND I can feel it in my obliques on one side!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Until very recently, I was using just the cardio equipment and the Cybex resistance equipment at the gym. I could see a little more muscle definition in my arms from using the equipment. I know that I was increasing my strength, because I was able to do more reps at a gradually increasing amount of resistance. Short answer, no you are not wasting your time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!