self control

not my strong point, especially with so many sweets and breads.
any advice? i've been trying to chomp on gum and drink water....

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Ice Cold water, like chilled as an iceberg, will help with any hunger period and also helps your body to burn a few extra cals ;)

I use the age old trick of out of sight, out of mind. If I don't see it and forget it's there... I don't eat it. I also try make sure all food in my house is made from scratch, the longer you have to work to have the bad stuff the less likely that your going to snack on it. Who wants to take a half hour to make a snack? Lol, I certainly don't.

Hope you find some really useful tips that help you.
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    I'm having self control issues today as well. :(
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I have absolutely terrible self-control. So what I try to do instead is not think of it as "self-control." (Little mental tricks like this really help get me through the day.) I tell myself that I love myself enough to continue making progress on my goals, that I am being good to myself by making the better choice.

I also agree with the out of sight, out of mind thing. Not being hungry around sweets goes a long way, too. (I eat something usually before I go somewhere that I know will be loaded with sugar!)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Ice Cold water, like chilled as an iceberg, will help with any hunger period and also helps your body to burn a few extra cals ;)

Bam! Nailed it in one!

I drink about 2 gallons of icy water a day and I am NEVER hungry!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member

Bam! Nailed it in one!

I drink about 2 gallons of icy water a day and I am NEVER hungry!

This cracks me up. You know that "extra" calorie-burn is about 2 calories, right? Brrrr....I'll take my liquids warmer in the winter.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    2 gallons! Thats impressive. It's all been said above... out of sight out of mind, you're goal is too close/satisfying to snack, water water water!
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    having sunflower seeds or something like that helps some friends i have i dnt like them tho lol and ice water
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Coffee. Water. Thinking really hard about how great it is going to be when I am at goal weight. Really hard. And pretty much obsessively.

Oh yeah, and getting enough protein and fat and eating enough of those things not to be constantly starving. Also keeping carbs low works for me, but your results may vary.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,733 Member
    not my strong point, especially with so many sweets and breads.
    any advice? i've been trying to chomp on gum and drink water....

eat some of it.

you can't deprive yourself because you'll start to crave what you're avoiding and it will lead to binging.

food is not the enemy. if you want some treats, eat them and find a way to fit them into your weekly calorie goals.