heavy lifting on a 1,000 calorie diet..

Options
Alright, so I am eating way more than 1,000 cals, btw...but now that I've got your attention.. :)

So, people say that to"tone"your body you have to lift lighter with a lot of reps..but then people say toning is a myth and you have to lift heavy with lighter reps for the good results...so wtf is it?!

I'm trying to find a new lifting program..I like lifting heavy with small reps..but then people say your supposed to do it the other way..do confused! And I quit NROLFW..so yeahhhhhh..I need a new one:)

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Look up 5/3/1
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Lift HEAVY!!! Girls don't have enough testosterone to get bulky. Lift heavy and do cardio and you'll be a sexy beast
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Look up 5/3/1

this

strstd.com
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Standing and sitting works
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is always the answer
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goals are:

Strength with some hypertrophy = lower rep range (up to 5 reps)
    Mix of strength and hypertohpy = low/mid rep range (6 - 8)
    Mainly hypertophy with some strength = mid rep range (9 - 12)
    Mainly endurance with some hypertophy = high rep range (13+)

As I mentioned on your other thread - a compound lifting progressive loading full body workout such as stronglifts 5 x 5 would be the most beneficial to you considering you have not been lifting for long.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Look up 5/3/1

5/3/1 is a great intermediate program. There are much better novice options out there.

OP, didn't you make a thread yesterday? The same info still applies. You want to get strong? Do a novice compounding lifting program. Once you're a "kinda strong", move on to an intermediate lifters program. Stop wasting all this time on the forums and go freaking squat something :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting!! Much better, faster results IMO (and lots of other people's opinions/results on here too!)

The whole light weight, high rep thing is mainly just a myth used to "reassure" women that they won't bulk up, because they're not lifting like the men, who bulk up. When in reality, that won't happen either way because they don't have the hormones for it :) It's great for endurance though.

As far as programs go, how about Stronglifts 5x5?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why did you quit NROL?

My vote goes to SL 5x5. The simplicity makes it genius for a beginner, IMO.
  • Depends what your goals are:

Yes, this!! I have lifted in a split-format (one-two bodyparts at a time), primarily in the 8-12 rep range, since January. It's what I prefer, but ALL lifting is good. Find a program you like and DO IT!! :flowerforyou:
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm really scared to start stronglifts because i feel like i'll be working in reverse as i have been so far.....I would run an hour and then lift for an hour(altough i did'nt really know much of what i was doing) like 5 days a week... then i started NROLFW and the first stage was just a lot less than i was used to....(although i'm glad i did i before going onto the other stages) and now stronglifts is even shorter! Idt i can do it.....it scared me.. exspecially because i want to be in the best shape i can be in by March.
  • taylorwaylor
    Options

As I mentioned on your other thread - a compound lifting progressive loading full body workout such as stronglifts 5 x 5 would be the most beneficial to you considering you have not been lifting for long.

What is hypertrophy??
  • MoreBean13
    Options

What is hypertrophy??

hypertrophy = physically bigger muscles, swole
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    can you get like testosterone injections? I think that would help out, if you don't have enough.
  • taylorwaylor
    Options
    And my goal is to lose fat and build muscle...I dont know if i should focus on one before the other?
  • taso42
    Options
    And my goal is to lose fat and build muscle...I dont know if i should focus on one before the other?

Focus on fat loss and strength gain at the beginning. Meaning, eat at a modest deficit and lift dem weights.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I'm really scared to start stronglifts because i feel like i'll be working in reverse as i have been so far.....I would run an hour and then lift for an hour(altough i did'nt really know much of what i was doing) like 5 days a week... then i started NROLFW and the first stage was just a lot less than i was used to....(although i'm glad i did i before going onto the other stages) and now stronglifts is even shorter! Idt i can do it.....it scared me.. exspecially because i want to be in the best shape i can be in by March.

An hour of lifting 5x a week is WAY too much unless you're a bodybuilder. It's counterproductive. The real 'work' of lifting actually happens during the repair phase between sessions, and unless you have a really complicated split, you aren't giving your muscles enough time to regenerate before the next session at 5x a week for an hour. You should really give one of the well-developed programs a shot and follow it- you'll actually get better results.
  • taso42
    Options

I don't comprehend what you are afraid of. It will be a demanding program, but you if you have the desire to lift and get strong, which you do seem to have, you can handle it. I would suggest starting off straight away doing 3x5, not 5x5, since you are not completely untrained.

Also, don't run before lifting.