Awkward Christmas dinners with family.

Options
Anyone else having awkward Christmas dinners with family? Don't get me wrong I love my family but when you only see them once a year ... it's just awkward lol.

Replies

• Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I see my family a little more often but there are awkward moments.

I enjoy DISCUSSING politics but certain family members like arguing as opposed to having a good discussion.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    it's a great idea to go with bad gas! lol.......
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I live 1000 miles away and stay home on the holidays for a reason. LOL
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Skitty has been playing footsie with me since we sat down. Is it odd when your sister does that? We are a really really close family!
  • azanne07
    Options
    I live 500 miles away. because i moved away from them :)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and help keep the most entertaining family members' glass full of holiday cheer. Then sit back. :devil:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Booze cures all
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Humph.....I get to deal with MIL for what seems like forEVER. DH and I have been together 25 years and I am still refered to as "the wife" ........ that is when she feels like talking to me. So tomorrow I get to deal with her and ALL her problems (that don't exist, BTW) I'm thinking my last bottle of wine should help me out.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having awkward Christmas dinners with family? Don't get me wrong I love my family but when you only see them once a year ... it's just awkward lol.

It has been a day of fielding requests from my mum's boyfriend to lend him money. ALL FREAKING DAY and I suspect he'll be at it again tomorrow, for he just loves to ruin Christmas for me and my sister!! The problem is not the giving part, but rather, that he can't seem to stop asking and every time the amounts increase. Really AWKWARD.
  • superdeedooper
    superdeedooper Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I bailed on one awkward Christmas dinner to go to a different one. Gotta eat though. I'll spare the dysfunctional details... LOL Possible winter storm headed for Central Arkansas will be the buzz at the dinner table.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I bailed on one awkward Christmas dinner to go to a different one. Gotta eat though. I'll spare the dysfunctional details... LOL Possible winter storm headed for Central Arkansas will be the buzz at the dinner table.

noway, we want the details. :bigsmile:
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Ugh. And this year I opted not to buy a bottle of whiskey beforehand because this holiday season has already seen a steady increase in necessity.

I have a rule, though, that I'm allowed to drink any alcohol that comes my way. Unfortunately that will mostly be super sweet berry wines (gross).

Not to mention my step-dad will probably carve the turkey this time (I did it for Thanksgiving) and he makes it out to be way harder than it is. He always gets pretty whiny about not having enough space, but it's really not that bad. They do have these stupid cupboard that get in your way, though ... ugh.

Anyway, other than that I'm going to end up awkwardly sitting there while they have conversations about things I'm not interested in and get upset over trivial matters—because that's what families do :)
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    no
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Ugh. And this year I opted not to buy a bottle of whiskey beforehand because this holiday season has already seen a steady increase in necessity.

I have a rule, though, that I'm allowed to drink any alcohol that comes my way. Unfortunately that will mostly be super sweet berry wines (gross).

Not to mention my step-dad will probably carve the turkey this time (I did it for Thanksgiving) and he makes it out to be way harder than it is. He always gets pretty whiny about not having enough space, but it's really not that bad. They do have these stupid cupboard that get in your way, though ... ugh.

Anyway, other than that I'm going to end up awkwardly sitting there while they have conversations about things I'm not interested in and get upset over trivial matters—because that's what families do :)

lol well damn...
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options

noway, we want the details. :bigsmile:

^^. Yup. Need details now!!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hate my MIL!! That makes for a very awkward christmas day since I am supposed to feed her on the day (well, every day in fact) and her table manners are beyond gross!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Not me. I moved away, and pretty much no longer speak to any of my family. Best thing i could have ever done. It's just me and the kiddos.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    yes sadly i have to go to my older brother place to eat but if his demon wife gets to me i'll just head out for a walk with the doggs then hide in the car. i can't stand her shes a fake nice person. i wish i had booze but i haven't drank in three years something says i'm going to need it after today. if theres no fire works that means i made it out alive if there is while i will just come home