NSV... walked 3 1/2 miles today!!!

Options
I walked the farthest I have walked in over 4 years today. Before now, the farthest I had been able to go without feeling winded was about 2.75 miles. I could have gone even farther, and wanted to, but my son was on his bike and started complaining that his legs were getting tired. Unfortunately, I kind of blew my workout by making poor food choices today and went over my calories by 66. However, I'm still proud of my accomplishment with my very long walk. Tomorrow we are going walking again and I'm shooting for 4 miles and better food choices! Just wanted to share my accomplishment.

Replies

• SaltyNovice
    SaltyNovice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you, keep up the good work and keep at it. The good food choices will come with time and dedication...........
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. Keep it up.
  • flyersrule17a
    flyersrule17a Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am training to complete the Rock 'N Roll marathon in December of 2013. I figure I will start out by increasing distance every few days until I build up a better stamina, then start increasing my speed. I have asthma, so right now I just walk rather than jog or run. However, my goal is just to complete the marathon, even if I'm the last one across the finish line :-)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Going over by 66 is nothing to worry about. MFP has you set at a deficit of about 500 calories. So even with your 66 over, you're still at a deficit of 430 calories. Click the thing at the bottom "Complete This Entry". You'll see that you're still on the losing path. You did great today. Focus on the accomplishment.
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the good work and you'll rock that Marathon! It can be done!
  • GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment and keep your head up. I started out the same way you did and now I am running 2 miles in about 24 minutes and I have asthma as well. Just continue to remain positive and you will be doing a lot more before you know.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    66 calories is really pretty insignificant... Generally this is within the margin of error anyway. Even if it is real it would take over a month to gain a pound by going over that much; besides, you are most likely factoring in a deficit anyway.. If so, you are still good for a loss for the day. Congrats on the walk by the way ... don't forget to count that as exercise.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! And going over by 66 calories isn't "blowing" anything! Congrats to you!
  • flyersrule17a
    flyersrule17a Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did factor it into my exercise. Even with that I was over by the 66 calories, but when I hit complete entry, it still had me losing. Also, the last two days I had been about 100 or so under my calories, so I figure it'll even itself out. I just went a little overboard with the pizza and popcorn today [ we go for pizza and a movie every Christmas Eve in my family, have done this for over 20 years now].
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did factor it into my exercise. Even with that I was over by the 66 calories, but when I hit complete entry, it still had me losing. Also, the last two days I had been about 100 or so under my calories, so I figure it'll even itself out. I just went a little overboard with the pizza and popcorn today [ we go for pizza and a movie every Christmas Eve in my family, have done this for over 20 years now].

Don't sweat the occassional days of going over a bit. It's nothing. It's when you have 2 solid weeks of going over by 500 or 600 calories that you need to really examine what you're doing.

Also, holiday celebration food doesn't count. That's the rule.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!