When should you start seeing results?

Options
Earlier this year I lost thirteen pounds, from 157 to 144 and didn't look any different. I felt a little leaner. I guess I was losing muscle mass more than fat.

When should I expect to see results?

Replies

• FutureSkinnyMama03
    FutureSkinnyMama03 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising any or just eating less/healthier?

I have only lost about 8 lbs so far but can already see a difference. But, I'm working out almost every day as well as watching calorie intake. I do not think anyone around me has noticed the loss yet but I can see the slight change!
  • Tetonia
    Tetonia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on changing your lifestyle habits to make a positive change in your life!

Measure the results you want. If a lower weight on the scale is what you are after, pay attention to that. If you want better abs or stronger muscles, use a tape measure and record your sets and weight lifting gains. If you want to reduce body fat you can measure that to a certain extent as well.

The scale is usuallly not an effective tool to measure progress with body recomposition. Often better body recomposition results in higher total body weight but smaller waist size. Muscle is more dense and compact than fat.

To give you better feedback it would be helpful to know what you are doing now and what you are trying to achieve.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How tall are you and what is your exercise routine? You will see results when you cut fat and not muscle. If you are active, you probably need another 600+ calories. Also, weight training is where you will see the greatest results. Also, its quite possible you may need to bulk and add 10-20 lbs of muscle.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on how you're losing it and what you've lost.
    for instance i've lost about 20 pounds but since i was eating at a moderate deficit, doing heavy lifting those 20 pounds meant loss of 5 pant sizes and half a shoe size.

oh yeah like the other poster noted, it's going to depend on your height as well. i'm kind of on the short side (5'5) so 20 pounds loss might look like nothing if i were 5 inches taller
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your height, 150lbs is pretty light for a grown man.

I graduated HS at 147lbs and 5'7" and I was scrawny...............I think a goal weight under 150 is a bad idea.............unless you are 4' tall
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Happy christmas!

I don't mind my weight much, my goal is getting a body fat of around 11 percent or 10 percent. Right now I'm 14 or 15%. So I'm not far. But my body is stubborn!

I'm 5' 10" and I started this program this summer, when I lost 13 pounds over six weeks, but didn't look much different at all. :/ My core felt tighter, which was nice. But I was afraid I was losing muscle rather than fat, and I lost my motivation.

College started and I was doing a weight training class, a horse riding class, and swimming, so I got exercise pretty much every day. But after a while I stopped logging here, which means my diet went out the window for a while (LINDT CHOCOLATE IS DELICIOUS YOU GUYS).

Now I'm doing weights every two days and cardio on the other days. I'm losing weight, but gaining strength, so I'm not so worried that I'm losing muscle.

BUT I STILL DON'T SEEM TO BE LOSING ANY BODY FAT.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When you no longer want to smash the mirror.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    4 weeks using a camera, 12 weeks using a mirror.

At least for me, that is about the timespan for "spot the difference" to become "noticeable".
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of an issue seeing any changes since I didn't own a full length mirror. I knew the scale was moving and my clothes were getting loose, but my eyes just weren't adjusting to my new form.

Just keep at it, one day you'll have an "ah-ha!" moment where you look in the mirror and all the sudden notice those changes.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Yea you definitely need to eat more... like 2200-2400 calories. If you do that with your routine and higher protein and you should cut fat.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I doubt you would physically notice gradually losing 13 pounds. You'd probably notice in a picture though. Thats why you should take progress pictures.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yea you definitely need to eat more... like 2200-2400 calories. If you do that with your routine and higher protein and you should cut fat.

Really, that much? Are you including exercise calories?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Really, that much? Are you including exercise calories?

I am 30, 5'11", 194 and exercise for 6 hours a week and cut at 2500-2700 calories. Yea, i am pretty sure. Why dont you try 2200 calories, 35% carbs 40% protein and 25% fats for a month to see how things go.