My current routine and my soon-to-be new routine

Options
Hey all. I'm looking for some feedback on what will soon be my new routine after I complete the current one. I think I know what I want to do to shake it up, but I'd like feedback from the thoughtful experts here. :wink:

:glasses: A little background on me:
Just your typical guy who used to work out when he was younger (19-22) and since let himself get flabbier as the years went by. When I was 22 I could do 35lb dumbbell curls, 20 dips, 50 pushups or 15 pullups, and probably weighed about 190. Nothing amazing but decent. I'm not new to weight lifting, I've just been out of it for a while. As an aside, its obvious to me that there's a lot more accessible information on the subject today than in the early 90's, a lot better information and experience available. Yay internet.

:glasses: Where I'm at, what I'm currently doing:
So I'm currently 4 weeks into what I've determined to be my 8 week starter program. It's very basic and straightforward: I go every other day, 15 times a month. One day is upper body, and the next visit is lower body. Its fairly unstructured so I can have fun with it and keep motivated more easily, rather than having a highly targeted routine that hits specific muscle groups on a given day. My #1 priority right now is to make sure I get into a routine and keep doing it.

I don't even follow that basic setup 100%. Sometimes I mix in cardio, but less of it recently. I usually do core on my lower body days but sometimes I've included some core work with upper body, cause it's how I felt. I really try to keep what works and discard the rest. For me and where I'm at, I'm lifting heavy. I sweat buckets when I go. I don't feel right if I'm not so tired by the end I can barely move. But I have good form when I go, and I'm focused on giving myself adequate rest between.

I have seen good results so far. 2 months ago I was at 270lbs, now I'm at 254. I have been clearly losing fat while adding muscle, slowly but surely, and I'm fine with the pace. I'm patient. :happy: A good portion of my weight loss so far I believe is also due to diet. I'm not eating clean, but I am eating better than I ever have in this millenium. I still have some comfort foods, but I've gotten rid of a whole bunch of other stuff. I have a lot more energy, strength and focus since starting.

My diet and exercise are accurately tracked and an open book. You can see I've had days where I ate some bad things, and you can see that I've made steady improvements on the amount of weight I'm lifting. It's all pretty accurate (I had 1 day where I didn't log food, that was on the 23rd, but it wasn't especially different from most other days lately).

My plan right now is simple: Finish the current every-other-day starter routine I made for myself. I'd like to do this for a total of 8 weeks (so 4 more weeks) and then take 1 week off before starting a new routine. The new routine is the question.

:glasses: The new routine
I'm leaning towards a 4 day split routine. This would be a good intermediate level targeted routine where I would work specific muscle groups, go slightly more often than I do now while sufficiently changing my routine from where it is today. It would still give me plenty of rest, training a muscle group hard for 1 day (or maybe sometimes 2 days) a week. I prefer the accomplishment feeling of hitting a muscle hard knowing I'll be sore afterwards, just doesn't feel right otherwise. :wink:

I'm thinking of something like this: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

With tweaks here and there. I'm less in favor of something like this:
http://www.collegebodybuilding.net/weight-training-program.html because of the emphasis on hitting the same muscle group 2x a week, but I do appreciate the fact that example routine is very serious. I also don't like how routine of a routine it is. But I'm open to ideas. Maybe this is the routine I should do after completing my next 8 week stint.

I know a routine doesn't have to be 8 weeks long with 1 week of rest between, but its my starting point. I could do a 12 week routine at some point, but this is where I'm at.

So I'm happy to take thoughtful opinions, questions and insights. :drinker:

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Tl;Dr

All I know is this routine had better be stronglifts or YOU GONNA DIE
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    8 weeks of a starter routine would definitely not put you into an "intermediate" routine. Most people are considered beginners until lifting for at least a year or two.

To be honest, a basic full body routine that you do 3 days a week would be way more beneficial to you at this point. Reason being, as a beginner, your muscles are relatively untrained, neuromuscular adaptation occurs relatively quickly, and it's not only ok, but it's desirable to work the same muscle groups multie times a week, as they recover faster, which allows more progress in less time. Check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, he does a good job of breaking things down.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    8 weeks of a starter routine would definitely not put you into an "intermediate" routine. Most people are considered beginners until lifting for at least a year or two.

To be honest, a basic full body routine that you do 3 days a week would be way more beneficial to you at this point. Reason being, as a beginner, your muscles are relatively untrained, neuromuscular adaptation occurs relatively quickly, and it's not only ok, but it's desirable to work the same muscle groups multie times a week, as they recover faster, which allows more progress in less time. Check out the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe, he does a good job of breaking things down.

^^this

However, just to clarify and so I do not get accused by DavPul above of never even considering the appropriateness of adding bicep curls into a routine, what are your goals? Power, Strength, Hypertrophy, Endurance, fat loss?
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I love your attitude, especially when you talk about what you are already doing: having fun, being patient and establishing a routine. I'm going to put these principles into my New Years resolution.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I'm not that new, but thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I'm not that new, but thanks.

How long have you been lifting for? I read the OP the same way.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Recently for 4 weeks, but I used to lift. That's what I meant.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Recently for 4 weeks, but I used to lift. That's what I meant.

How long ago did you lift?
  • RECowgill
    Options
    What are your goals? Power, Strength, Hypertrophy, Endurance, fat loss?

Adding muscle and so I can burn fat more efficiently, and basically get into a routine that works for me where I'm in the swing of things. I am currently achieving this and my routine is working for me, so I'm not looking to change from it right now.
  • RECowgill
    Options

As I stated above when I was in my younger 20's.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I love your attitude, especially when you talk about what you are already doing: having fun, being patient and establishing a routine. I'm going to put these principles into my New Years resolution.

Thanks. I feel its one of the most important things for where I'm at, I need it to be fun and something a little loose where I want to show up. I haven't missed any days yet and it feels great, I really want to keep it up.

Of course the next step is for me to make it a little more serious. I'm not looking to drop a lot of weight or necessarily hit a certain number, if I was in the 220 to 230lb range I'd be stoked. For me that would be packing on a lot of muscle and getting rid of a lot of fat. I'm not too far from that now, as I've stated in my description. My goals are relatively modest compared to those who want to drop 100lbs.

And of course when I reach that goal I'll make new goals, all I know for sure at this point is I want the gym to be a lifetime thing and not something I stop doing again.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

As I stated above when I was in my younger 20's.

Sorry - missed that. Tigersword's comments are still valid in that case as you have not lifted for quote a while. You may not have the need to to stay on a program like StrongLifts as long as someone who has not lifted before, but I think it would be beneficial, for the reasons noted, to implement a 3 x full body weight program, at least at first.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Adding muscle and so I can burn fat more efficiently, and basically get into a routine that works for me where I'm in the swing of things. I am currently achieving this and my routine is working for me, so I'm not looking to change from it right now.

Sorry, I must be missing something, I though you were asking for suggestions. If you are happy with your current routine, why are you looking to change it?
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Sorry, I must be missing something, I though you were asking for suggestions. If you are happy with your current routine, why are you looking to change it?

I know I'll get better results if I change up my routine every so often. I know that what I'm doing now is very slapdash and not very targeted or scientific, and I'm interested in trying new things.

Plus I basically agree with and believe in this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/deloading-and-taking-time-off/
    and
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/russ24.htm

I'm aware and conscientious of the dangers of injury, the importance of rest and how routines that become too routine will lead you to plateau and get frustrated. I've decided to only do my current routine for 8 weeks, then I'll rest for a week and move on to something else. It's the "something else" I'm trying to figure out.

I know you have a lot of experience Sarauk2sf so I appreciate your insight. =)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I know I'll get better results if I change up my routine every so often. I know that what I'm doing now is very slapdash and not very targeted or scientific, and I'm interested in trying new things.

Plus I basically agree with and believe in this: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/deloading-and-taking-time-off/

I'm aware and conscientious of the dangers of injury, the importance of rest and how routines that become too routine will lead you to plateau and get frustrated. I've decided to only do my current routine for 8 weeks, then I'll rest for a week and move on to something else. It's the "something else" I'm trying to figure out.

I know you have a lot of experience Sarauk2sf so I appreciate your insight. =)

Got it. A rest week is definitely a good idea. I have deload weeks every 4 weeks and usually a full break every 12 weeks (I am not getting any younger and I definitely need the rest :wink: - especially when lifting at a deficit). To be honest, the best routine is the one you will stick too, rather than the 'best routine' that you do not stick to. So, having fun and enjoying yourself play a huge part in what is best.

If you think you will get bored with SL 5 x 5 you possibly could look into hybridizing it slightly to throw in some iso work. I am not normally a fan of this, but as you have prior lifting experience it may not be a bad idea. The reason I think it beneficial is that you will hit each muscle group 3 times a week, rather than once a week in the split routine you linked.

One other thought is to do a push/pull split 4 times a week. A push day would be include bench, overheads and the like and the pull day would include rows and deadlifts. You would usually include legs on pull day. That way you have Push, Pull, Rest, Push Pull, Rest, Rest. Just a thought as you would hit each muscle group twice.

Just some thoughts.

Edited for a plethora of typos
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Waitaminute, you're happy with your routine? And don't wish to change it? I thought you wanted input that could lead to changes in your routine?

Confused OP is confusing
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Got it. A rest week is definitely a good idea. I have deload weeks every 4 weeks and usually a full break every 12 weeks (I am not getting any younger and I definitely need the rest :wink: - especially when lifting at a deficit). To be honest, the best routine is the one you will stick too, rather than the 'best routine' that you do not stick to. So, having fun and enjoying yourself play a huge part in what is best.

If you think you will get bored with SL 5 x 5 you possibly could look into hybridizing it slightly to throw in some iso work. I am not normally a fan of this, but as you have prior lifting experience it may not be a bad idea. The reason I think it beneficial is that you will hit each muscle group 3 times a week, rather than once a week in the split routine you linked.

One other thought is to do a push/pull split 4 times a week. A push day would be include bench, overheads and the like and the pull day would include rows and deadlifts. You would usually include legs on pull day. That way you have Push, Pull, Rest, Push Pull, Rest, Rest. Just a thought as you would hit each muscle group twice.

Just some thoughts.

Edited for a plethora of typos

Thanks that actually is very insightful and helpful. Much appreciated! :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My vote would be a 3-day full body program and a day dedicated to auxiliaries and HIIT maybe if you want to keep the 4 day thing. Like abs, flexibility work, or something occasionally just for fun, like taking a class or TRX or pickup basketball- whatever.

The feeling I am getting is that you don't want to do full body because it's considered beginner, but I think that's a mistake. But if you really aren't in to it, try 5/3/1. But I think you'd actually see better early results from full body.

As far as changing your routine to get results, that's a sort-of. Progression and periodization should be built in to a good routine in such a way that it changes for you enough to get results for a good chunk of time without throwing it out the window and starting something new. I would say the exception to that will be that you will have a break point when you stall on full body progress, and at that point you'll want to move to something like 5/3/1, but that will keep you set for a good while then.

Sara's modified SL is a good idea, too. Silly I didn't come up with it on first go, since that's what I actually do, lol.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    Waitaminute, you're happy with your routine? And don't wish to change it? I thought you wanted input that could lead to changes in your routine?

Just looking to deload for a week and start something new after that rest phase. Mix it up, be different.
  • RECowgill
    Options
    You guys definitely think a routine where you hit the muscle 2-3 times a week is better than 1x a week? 2x a week I can see, but 3x SL routine still provides sufficient rest?