Japanese Magazines...

Options
124»

Replies

• iamthecatsass
    Options
    Holy Crows, it doesn't matter where we live does it? There is an ideal of what is sexy that is constantly promoted and pushed down our throats.. The only people who will change all this is us women. We need to stop falling in that trap. I know, it's so bloody hard. As an older woman it doesn't have the same power over me as it did, just a little.
    We'll never be happy with who we are if we continue to base our worth on magazine cover images.
    I wouldn't want a partner who thought that those Japanese girls were attractive. THEY LOOK EMACIATED! I don't care if their height is shorter and their bones smaller..there is no definition on them. They look like plastic. Just like the 6 foot models in the west who look like concentration camp victims, it isn't appealing. It doesn't look healthy...Rise above it girl....You are more than that.
    hug.
  • kickingforfitness
    Options
    That´s some bad Photoshop skills
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Asian parents are strict as hell. Normal isn't good enough. If you're stupid, they make you study 24/7, if you're smart, they make you study 24/7, if you're fat, they will judge you, if you're too skinny, they will judge you. Nothing is enough for them.

I like how you phrased that, "If you're stupid, they make you study 24/7..." *raises eyebrow* :noway:

In any case, I'm Korean/Japanese too, and I'm no stranger to the standard of beauty set by the Korean community - which in my opinion, is much harsher than the standard of beauty set by the Japanese community. However, I started to realize that your rant is not necessarily about the "crazy" standard, but more about how "unfair" things are for you. Asian parents love their children just as much as any other parent... though they may show it in different ways. How are parents that wish for their children to excel in academics different from parents who wish their children to excel in acting or football? It's really the same thing - and you'll find that in any culture. It's a parent's job to push their children in the right direction (although what direction that is and how hard they push is up for debate).

I urge you to make peace with the culture you were born into... otherwise you'll probably always feel inadequate.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Asian parents are strict as hell. Normal isn't good enough. If you're stupid, they make you study 24/7, if you're smart, they make you study 24/7, if you're fat, they will judge you, if you're too skinny, they will judge you. Nothing is enough for them.

I like how you phrased that, "If you're stupid, they make you study 24/7..." *raises eyebrow* :noway:

In any case, I'm Korean/Japanese too, and I'm no stranger to the standard of beauty set by the Korean community - which in my opinion, is much harsher than the standard of beauty set by the Japanese community. However, I started to realize that your rant is not necessarily about the "crazy" standard, but more about how "unfair" things are for you. Asian parents love their children just as much as any other parent... though they may show it in different ways. How are parents that wish for their children to excel in academics different from parents who wish their children to excel in acting or football? It's really the same thing - and you'll find that in any culture. It's a parent's job to push their children in the right direction (although what direction that is and how hard they push is up for debate).

I urge you to make peace with the culture you were born into... otherwise you'll probably always feel inadequate.

^^LIKE
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Holy Crows, it doesn't matter where we live does it? There is an ideal of what is sexy that is constantly promoted and pushed down our throats.. The only people who will change all this is us women. We need to stop falling in that trap. I know, it's so bloody hard. As an older woman it doesn't have the same power over me as it did, just a little.
    We'll never be happy with who we are if we continue to base our worth on magazine cover images.
    I wouldn't want a partner who thought that those Japanese girls were attractive. THEY LOOK EMACIATED! I don't care if their height is shorter and their bones smaller..there is no definition on them. They look like plastic. Just like the 6 foot models in the west who look like concentration camp victims, it isn't appealing. It doesn't look healthy...Rise above it girl....You are more than that.
    hug.

If I found out my husband was into women that were ill like this then I'd be seriously thinking to leave him. The women look like children especially one of them and the others just look very close to dying so I would NEVER be with a man that is into that.
  • FitChicFab2013
    Options
    too thin...so unhealthy looking
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    sheesh..way to promote such an unhealthy lifestyle and a long line of Eating disorders.i wonder if the Japanese men really find these models attractive

my husband does. his computer is filled with images of girls like this

Then your husband has serious pedophilic tendencies. Those girls look like they are 8 years old.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    sheesh..way to promote such an unhealthy lifestyle and a long line of Eating disorders.i wonder if the Japanese men really find these models attractive

Then your husband has serious pedophilic tendencies. Those girls look like they are 8 years old.
    Not really. A lot of asian people are blessed with a youthful appearance. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if those girls were in their 20's.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What I'm curious about... is that Japanese have the highest life expectancy on the earth but show average weights for women this low...

Just something to think about.

(Just want to say that I am in the boat of *agreeing* with the fact that being rail-thin is unhealthy but curious if I'm wrong to think that...)

I wonder if this will continue to be the case. Also, the majority are not unhealthily skinny, so it is unlikely there is a connection between being super skinny and living longer.

The Japanese who live longest tend to be from more mountainous areas, and certainly NOT Tokyo. They're not skinny, have healthy weights for the most part and walk dozens of miles everyday up and down hills. Good cardio, healthy diet, and not the bad habits of the City.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Not really. A lot of asian people are blessed with a youthful appearance. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if those girls were in their 20's.

Noone said they were kids but that they look like kids and yes those girls are either late teens or in their twenties. The issue is one of them in particular is dressed like a kid and it's creepy for a guy to enjoy looking at that I think she was meaning.
  • RockandRoseRebel
    RockandRoseRebel Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Holy Photoshop! :noway: The "afters" are as distorted as funhouse mirrors.
    That´s some bad Photoshop skills
    ^Those were my first thoughts.

The girls look like prepubescent girls, except with a bit of boob and zero sex appeal in my opinion. In my personal opinion being sexy implies a certain degree of power and looking like a weakling is not an attractive quality in either gender. I want my body lean and mean, not squishy and delicate, but maybe that's because I'm strong-willed and I want my body to reflect that.
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    yeah, I heard it's like that in Japan, if you're not skinny, you get bullied or something like that.
  • minihearts
    Options
    Is there any medical reason Asian people are more disease prone at smaller BMIs? Not trying to suggest the ultra-low weights are healthy, but just trying to figure this out. Its frankly kind of mind blowing.

Low bone density, thinner bones, lower musculature and a tendency to store fat viscerally

Wow we have it bad..

the pictures are obviously photo shopped. if you look at the actual models that are regulars on the magazine they aren't thaaaat thin with razor sharp bones sticking out everywhere.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    While asian people tend to need to be a little smaller than other ethnic groups to be within a healthy range anorexic is anorexic. Of course, this is not uncommon in the modeling industry, unfortunately. Everything in moderation.
  • satorisat
    Options
    they look photoshopped

well, not only the "after" pictures... the "before" ones are 100% photoshopped too.

Don't know why some people rant about Japan... ;)
    Also the BMI is world wide the same, with a BMI 23 you are definitely not considered obese or overweight here...
    there are a lot of overweight girls, especially school girls. Japan is not the "oh everyone weighs 50 kg less and looks 20 years younger than European average" :P It's just the frame, even if I weigh 45 kg with 173cm, I would still look bigger than a average woman because my shoulders are wide. Losing weight won't change your body type!

Also, these are small paid ads found in magazines, usually on the last few pages - and they are NOT part of the magazine's main themes at all.
    Consider that, before ranting about Japanese magazines ;)