What is the magic number?

Options
I've been trying to maintain my goal weight for the past two months. Before going on maintenance, my calorie goal was 1200. I consistently lost weight with that goal. When I changed my goal to "maintain," myfitnesspal gave me a new goal of 1480.

Over the past two months, I went up and down, but earlier this week went up about 5 pounds from my lowest weight, which was 0.4 pounds below my goal. I changed my goal back to losing, went back to 1200 calories, and lost 3 pounds this week. I'm now 1 pound above my goal weight and have been for the past 2 days.

Obviously, I lose weight easily at 1200 calories, but gain it at 1480. How do I determine what the magic number is at which I will reach equilibrium, not losing and not gaining more than 2 or 3 pounds below or above my goal weight? How do I get myfitnesspal to generate that number?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You need to give it at least 4 weeks before changing back and forth to take account of water weight fluctuations. Pick a number, see what your results are at the end of the 4 weeks, then adjust accordingly.

Out of interest, do those numbers include exercise calories?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to maintain my goal weight for the past two months. Before going on maintenance, my calorie goal was 1200. I consistently lost weight with that goal. When I changed my goal to "maintain," myfitnesspal gave me a new goal of 1480.

Over the past two months, I went up and down, but earlier this week went up about 5 pounds from my lowest weight, which was 0.4 pounds below my goal. I changed my goal back to losing, went back to 1200 calories, and lost 3 pounds this week. I'm now 1 pound above my goal weight and have been for the past 2 days.

Obviously, I lose weight easily at 1200 calories, but gain it at 1480. How do I determine what the magic number is at which I will reach equilibrium, not losing and not gaining more than 2 or 3 pounds below or above my goal weight? How do I get myfitnesspal to generate that number?

Sorry to inform you but from normal weight fluctuations if you are exercising you can easily move 2-3 lbs in a week.

Obviously it's water weight as you couldn't gain fat that fast on eating so little unless you seriously lost some muscle on your weight loss.

I see in your picture you are exercising. So does that 1480 and the 1200 include eating back your exercise calories as MFP is setup to do?
    Or have you totally screwed up your metabolism enough that 1200 or 1480 is total eaten for the day even when you do exercise?

Bummer if the latter, you've lost LBM and muscle more than required and will probably have a hard time maintaining.

Just except the fact water weight does change. Do you measurements actually change, do the clothes actually feel different?

Or are you wearing your scale on your back with current weight shown, and a sign with previous weigh-in so that any one but you could even tell?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

You are awesome.
  • michelechavez
    Options
    The numbers do not include exercise calories. I've never eaten exercise calories back. I keep track of my exercise calories through Garmin/heart rate monitor, since MFP's figures are so off (too high).

I had body analysis during my first weeks of weight loss and when i reached goal weight. I actually gained lean body mass and I started out with a pretty high lean body mass to begin with. My initial idea of what weight I should be had to be adjusted 10 lbs upward based upon my LBM. I had originally set it for 110 and, according to the people who did the analysis, that was unrealistic based upon LBM.

I have no idea what this means, "Or are you wearing your scale on your back with current weight shown, and a sign with previous weigh-in so that any one but you could even tell?" I'm trying not to see it as snotty, but as something helpful, but heck if I can decipher its meaning.

Of course, I get the reference to 42. Love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Re: exercise, I am a half marathon runner, run several times a week, currently walking for crosstraining instead of cycling, since I had an injury right before Thanksgiving, breaking 2 fingers on my right hand, was in a cast for a month, and am now working on regaining strength in the fingers so I can use them for braking and start riding for crosstraining again.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    There is no magic number. You're going to have to experiment to figure out what works for you. If 1480 isn't keeping you in a weight range where you are happy, try 1380 for a month and see what happens. If you lose weight at that amount, add 50 calories for a month and see what happens. If you gain, lower it by 50 for a month.

Although, personally, I think you are eating way too few calories if you are such an avid exerciser! I'd start working your calorie count up from 1480, not down.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    That sounds quite low. I'm on the low end of the BMI scale (around 18.5), and I eat 2000 to 2300 calories day!

You probably aren't eating enough.

I also do a lot of strength training and weight lifting, so that could help you as well.

Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    I'm still a kid at heart, I love magic.:smile:
  • michelechavez
    Options
    I am only 4' 11" , so I am positive 2000 to 2300 calories a day is way high. I do short runs and walks during the week and long runs on the weekend, so I'm not running as much as you think. My exercise will increase when I can get back on a bike. Maybe strength training would help, but I'm probably not going to do it. I know myself. I like my exercise to be fun, not something I'd consider punishment.

I'm almost sorry I asked the question. But the advice to try 1380 sounds like sound advice and I will give that a try. I just need to know how to get MFP to generate that number as my goal.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Wow - if you have been eating 1200 to lose and 1480 to maintain, running marathons and never eaten back exercise cals, you have totally screwed your metabolism.

Congratulations.

Maybe increase slowly, expect some gains and so a reset.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I opened this thread for the sole purpose of giving this answer.

Taso, you won...this time.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of experimenting to find your own personal "magic" number. It also depends on WHAT you are consuming, not necessarily a number of calories. My real BMR is under 1200 (which upsets everyone), so just keep experimenting until you find out what works for YOU!! :flowerforyou:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of experimenting to find your own personal "magic" number. It also depends on WHAT you are consuming, not necessarily a number of calories. My real BMR is under 1200 (which upsets everyone), so just keep experimenting until you find out what works for YOU!! :flowerforyou:

I'll try not to let your BMR < 1200 upset me. It's just so hard not to take it personally.

=P

(Edit: rephrased to make it slightly less likely to be misinterpreted as offensive for anyone.)