Which One?

Options
I want to learn more about different exercises to do and to also motivate myself. I don't want to get bored and give up or stop improving and pushing myself.

Which would you pick / recommend?

Magazines -

Oxygen
Shape
Fitness RX for Women

Books -

New Rules of Lifting for Women
Look Better Naked - 6 week plan
Women's Health Big Book of Exercises
Sculpting Her Body Perfect
You Are Your Own Gym - Body Weight Exercises

:smile:

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women <<<THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • estrellita0
    estrellita0 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I love getting magazine. I highly recommend Shape and Fitness. You could also check out Women's Health. I get them all. Not only do you get new information every month, you also get new exercise routines, healthy recipes and good tips. Every time I get de-motivated, reading a fitness magazine puts me back on my plan.
  • LittleMiss_WillLoseIt
    LittleMiss_WillLoseIt Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

Yes...I'll be starting this when I get back home Friday. :)
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

Yes...I'll be starting this when I get back home Friday. :)
    =) yes to another one of my favorite pretty ladies lifting heavy! It might call for you to eat a little more as well ;-)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Do you really need books and magazine?
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

Why not have some help? A good routine and some solid info on why heavy lifting is great for women can't be a bad thing, can it? ;-)
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    My vote is for New Rules of Lifting for Women!!! I started it in the summer and I got much stronger...need to restart it when I have the time in January! Love this book! I need to have a plan or I start to stray, so if that is what helps you go for it!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    From my own experience, I love getting magazine. I highly recommend Shape and Fitness. You could also check out Women's Health. I get them all. Not only do you get new information every month, you also get new exercise routines, healthy recipes and good tips. Every time I get de-motivated, reading a fitness magazine puts me back on my plan.

That is what I thought - a magazine popping through the letter box is like a reminder to get back to it! I get the UK Women's Health but it is only quarterly.

I read a few of the UK fitness type magazines but the American ones look tougher! They are expensive to subscribe to so I would only be getting one - just have to pick!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    From reading the Men's UK fitness magazines... I'm going to tell you most of it is utter BS. The workout routines featured are often incredibly poorly thought out and very lacking in overall balance.

NROLFW is a fine book to get your hands on, but I wouldn't recommend anything else in your OP.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I like books rather than magazines. Books usually give you more background of why, and how to know if it's not right. Magazines, give quick motivation but don't delve into subjects very much.

Weight lifting for women and sculpting her body perfect are both great, but why stop there? Keep reading, keep learing. Your body is unique and you have to find out what works for you. A lot of times you will hear/read repeats of the same things, but that's usually because they work for most people. Start with one see it through, see how your body reacts, but one thing everyone says is don't do the same thing for more than a couple months. Change it up once on a while so that your body doesn't get in a rut. That's why I say, start one program for a couple months, then read another one and see how it differs, and discover what your body likes.

Have fun with it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't read women's fitness magazines so I don't know if they're the same, but men's fitness mags are basically nothing but giant supplement advertisement brochures.
  • plaingirly
    Options

I find that sort of thing motivating plus I don't know much about exercise and putting routines together so figured it would be helpful!