Going Vegan?

Options
2»

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan...but many people who are, do so for their beliefs..I've never heard fried chicken as a reason..maybe try to incorporate more meat free protein items while at school..but vegans still get protein from other sources..look it all up..don't make a hasty decision based on fried chicken..if it's not what u truly believe..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for almost 20 years. This is the worst reason I have ever heard to go vegan.

It's extremely restrictive and requires a level of dietary planning that the average omnivorous eater would find challenging. Choosing to become a vegan requires a lot of self-discipline and commitment, and IMO some moral/ethical reason for doing so to be able to stick with it successfully.

You do not have to become a vegan or a vegetarian to include more plant-based meals in your diet. I would encourage you to try doing that if you have the inclination to, but don't jump head first in to veganism because it seems convenient because your cafeteria doesn't have chicken the way you like it. I assure you, on the list of potential benefits of a vegan diet, nobody would ever include convenience.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love meat too much mmmm The ripping of flesh across my teeth :drinker: Cheers for going Vegan more meat for me :) jks
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You dont have to go vegan to avoid meat. You can just be a regular old vegetarian. It's a lot less restrictive. I could do vegetarian easily - since I don't eat meat and I only eat birds and fish a few times a week so it would be an easy adjustment - but I think it would be really hard for me, personally, to go pure vegan. I like cheese and honey too much. Weight loss seems like a strange reason to go vegan, since you can lose weight without going vegan quite easily. The vegan lifestyle does not guarantee weight loss. Calorie deficits do that. :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One last thing, one of the best things i did was concentrate on eliminating processed meats and concentrated on whole foods. I also limit dairy (except milk) and grains (wife has to be gluten free) as it helped reduced my sodium. The meats i eat are lean cuts and full of flavor.. i dont eat fried food either. This along with a calorie deficit and exercise (especially resistance training and HIIT) has been a recipe for fat loss. And all of this has provided the same benefits mentioned by vegans; more energy, clearer skin, etc. In my opinion, eliminating the processed foods is what leads to these, not so much meat in itself.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Vegan is a lot different than just not eating the crispy chicken your school serves. Going vegan means no meat, no eggs, no milk, no cheese, no jello, and a LOT of other things. You can't eat anything that has any form of animal product in it (also, serious vegan won't use any product on their skin that contains animal byproducts).

Going vegan won't for sure help with losses.... It can be healthier but it may not be ... it all depends on how you eat and what you eat.
  • lmcgrad
    Options
    okay thanks guys!