Overeating at night

Options
2»

Replies

• lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat at nite regardless of if Im truly hungry, if I dont eat I feel deprived, Im working on working through this too
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Some experts/writers of diet books say never to eat after 8:00 pm, but frankly I'm losing and I exercise from around 9:00 - 10:00 pm and eat after that. So, I might have a couple hundred calories around 10:30 - 11:00 pm. I go to sleep around 12:00 or 1:00. Works for me, we're all wired differently. I stay in my calorie goal and don't worry about what time I'm eating. (In fact, depending on how much I burn on the late workout sometimes I have to make myself eat more than I want to, to get UP to my calorie goal and not have too high a deficit for the day. I could do better with planning that, but I'm always afraid I'll punk out on the exercise and have already eaten the food.)

Before I started paying attention to calories, I would tear the house apart at night looking for snacks I shouldn't eat. Now, I have food I plan to eat: walnuts, a soy fake chicken nugget, 1/4 an avocado. I find stuff with protein and fat to be very satisfying when I eat them late and I go to sleep not feeling deprived or thinking about food. I even added a meal in my calorie tracker called "Late Snack."

On days when i don't work out or I use up my calories early, I have to tough it out in the evening and it's still hard. Water helps then.

I don't skip breakfast either. I used to, and I would run out of energy and have a hard time concentrating. That was one of the bad habits that I believe contributed to my weight gain because I ate much larger meals later. Now, I eat all damn day - smallish meals that keep me in my calorie goal. :) [Today doesn't count.]

Edit: When I say "all wired differently," I mean our preferences. I am not implying I am "a special snowflake" and my metabolism works differently than anybody else's.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I plan my meals and snacks in advance trying to make my last meal and snack of the day as late as possible.I never skip a meal.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I need support on this too....its NOT because I am 'tummy' hungry....its at the end of my long work day and its the 1st time I can sit and relax, so thats when I tend to MINDLESS eat because I am 'head' hungry......
  • MumOfADuo
    Options
    Maybe try saving some calories to eat at night. When you eat doesn't matter as long as your calories overall are constant.
    ^^^
    this and again eat less for breakfast or skip it... maybe do some extra cardio, just save plenty of calories for late at night !
    Never a good idea to skip breakfast....its the jumpstart to your day...which jumpstarts your metabolism.....its breaking your fast...just my thoughts....
  • MumOfADuo
    Options
    Really good insight! I know for me this is how it is!!!! Its not actual hunger.....hmmmm...now to figure out 'why' lol
  • selkins1989
    Options
    Breakfast itself is not important. Its what you eat to break the fast with that matters--not the time of day. If you eat something healthy and nutritious for your first meal of the day (not those sugary carb cereals) it will help to set you up for a pattern of healthier eating throughout the day. The idea is that you will satisfy your bodies nutritional requirements so that you will not crave these unhealthy foods as much and hopefully this will eventually eliminate all cravings. Hope that makes sense!