How to deal with loose skin after weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Only plastic surgery can remove excess skin. It will tighten some on its own with proper exercise, but once the skin is stretched, it will not ever go back to the way it was.

I'd have to disagree....I believe yes some people require plastic surgery but not all. I've lost 100 lbs so far and my skin isn't as loose as I thought it would be. I find that it's from lifting more instead of only cardio, but this is only my opinion.

Genetics, age, amount of loss and duration of loss (slow vs rapid) are only a few of the fators affecting the skin's ability to snap back. What may require surgery for one may not for another.

Personally, I thought my belly flap would never go back where it belongs, especially after six kids and over 100 pound loss after age 40, but surprise, surprise! It is not completely there yet, but it is well on its way with nary a stitch nor slice. It took almost a full year longer than the greatest part of the loss (only about 20 pounds were lost in the past 12 months) but I am good with that :happy:

I lift and run.
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ...Oh and drink LOTS of water throughout the day - on all days (no less than 64 oz per day ~ I get thrown off when I'm not at work). I was also dehydrated.

I do, too! I have been having real trouble drinking enough water when I'm not sitting at my work desk! Weird. I mean, I sit at a desk at home sometimes (like now), but it's not the same!