Your worst present

Options
love2cycle
love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
It doesn't have to be a Christmas present, could be birthday, etc.. What do you consider the worst present you ever got? I can think of a couple, but I think I would probably choose the stick vacuum cleaner from my mom. I think she was regretting that she bought it because her face looked nervous. I guess I should have been more vocal about what I wanted!

Replies

• aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    EDIT: never mind.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As a kid, I was really small for my age, so I would get gifts appropriate for a 5 year old when I was 10, or gifts for a 10 year old when I was 15. I hated it.

Also, my mother would buy me an outfit every so often on a holiday, Thanksgiving or Christmas. It was always something hideous and humiliating, but I couldn't tell her because she's the type of person who would cry for the rest of the day and tell everybody what an awful person I am for being ungrateful for the outfit. I would have to wear it to whatever family function was scheduled and just silently sit there humiliated.

My ex-husband bought me t-shirts once. Again, I was really small for a 25 year old woman, at the time. I couldn't wear t-shirts without the high school truancy officer pulling me over and telling me to go back to class.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My former MIL bought me a hideous t-shirt that was positively huge, or at least I thought it was. It was a 1X and I remember thinking, I know I've put on a few pounds but just how fat does she think I am! Well..... it fit. I still wouldn't wear it because I thought it was ugly and it verified just how out of control my life had gotten. If I accepted that this was my size it was like giving up. That was one of several very loud wake-up calls! I guess that means what I thought was a terrible gift was really the best thing she could have done for me, though I'm sure she didn't realize it.

I try to look at any present I get as an attempt at trying to do a nice thing for me. It's the attempt that matters more than what the gift is. I have all the stuff I need. I'd so much rather have a loving gesture than another "thing".
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    We moved from MI to AZ. My inlaws lived in MI and kept asking when we were "moving back home" even though we bought another house in AZ. That Christmas my MIL bought me some scratchy bath towels that matched the bathroom in our MI house. They had a metallic fiber or something in them too so they were extra scratchy.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I once gave a friend a gift card to Old Navy...the next year, she regifted it...to ME. :noway:
  • Christy175
    Christy175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    An ex boyfriend gave me an iron so I could iron his clothes for him.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm......

I would have to say it was a set of "presents" from my ex. I got him some gold cufflinks and tie pin (yes, it was a while ago) a silk tie and a really, really nice (expensive) shirt.

He got me......a neoprane weight loss belt, a kitchen towel set and a gold necklace. Which later on I found out was fake, when I went to sell it.

BTW, I was not even overweight at that time.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My ex husband gave me an anniversary gift once... a weed eater.....used... from a pawn shop....jerk.....
  • hunkofmexican
    hunkofmexican Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Im not welcomed in my family during the 364 other days of the year for about the last 15 years. So the worst present i have and will always receive are the current ones that have no insight on who i am. Today i said enough and stayed in bed ignoring their invite. Family should be family All year long.....Not just on Christmas.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, my grandmother gave me a dvd box set of some weird 70s television show I have never heard of before or since. Still love her to death though.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My Mom has given me the same pair of ugly Christmas socks for the last 4 years in a row. I guess she must have bought like 10 pairs on clearance and she keeps forgetting that she gave them to me the year before. Funny thing is, I am wearing them right now - they really are ugly. Before the Christmas socks, she used to give me socks with cats on them every year. Those may actually have been worse. There is NEVER a good excuse to wear socks with neon stitched cats on them. EVER!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    A gift card for $30 but it had only $4.25 on it when I went to use it! It was given by a woman in her late 60s. I think she used the card, forgot about it, then decided to give me the card.

I never told her about it. I didn't want to embrass her.

About 10 years after that incident, she was diagnosed with Alzheimers's.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My first Christmas with my husband. I got him a bunch of band memorabilia that he likes. Skinny puppy, the police, shirts, posters, hoodie, beanie's, he got me dinner plates. not the nice ones you use on holidays, every day dinner plates. he told me they were on sale and we need them. we had about 10 plates, dinner and salad, and 6 bowels before them.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My first bra and panty set for my birthday when I was in third grade. Not only did I open it in front of my friends, but my first crush was there too! LOL. Chad was SOOOO dreamy haha
  • stinkpurty
    Options
    Even though we mutually decided years ago to not buy each other gifts, my sister handed me a present this morning. I was pleasantly surprised. I unwrapped the box to find a scarf (that wasn't ugly, but not really "me") and a card that said "Merry Christmas from Debbie!" My sister is not named Debbie. Therefore, she either re-wrapped a gift or gave me one she hadn't even bothered to open.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My son gave me a gift for the first time in years. An ugly scarf in neon colors that smells strange. I told him it was lovely.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My Mom has given me the same pair of ugly Christmas socks for the last 4 years in a row. I guess she must have bought like 10 pairs on clearance and she keeps forgetting that she gave them to me the year before. Funny thing is, I am wearing them right now - they really are ugly. Before the Christmas socks, she used to give me socks with cats on them every year. Those may actually have been worse. There is NEVER a good excuse to wear socks with neon stitched cats on them. EVER!

This is hilarious.

I always ask for socks and underwear for christmas so I never have to buy them myself lol
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    a santa clause cookie cutter.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    An ex boyfriend gave me an iron so I could iron his clothes for him.

Just want to point out that the preface "ex" did not escape me:) Good for you!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My sister gave me a 2XL polo shirt that had a hideous brown floral design. Two bad things about that shirt.

1) It was obviously a shirt that she picked off a discount rack.

2) I only wore a large at the time, so it said a lot of how I looked to her that she thought that a 2XL was appropriate (I'm relatively short so a 2XL went to nearly to my knees and the sleeves were nearly down to my wrists).