calorie burn with strength exercises?

Options
I noticed that the amount of calories lost is not calculated for strength exercises. My workout usually consists of push ups, sit up, in and out ab exercise and cat vomits. Is there any way of finding out how much these exercises are helping me with calorie burn?

Replies

• natashalynnx
    natashalynnx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to figure this out too. Alot of the exercises I do aren't even in the database here. |:
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Same here...and we know strength training burns calories....I had to add the mini stepper to the database, along with side kicks
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Same here. I've resorted to letting core strengthening be "stretching." There are some websites, but they still seem to be missing some things.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the amount of calories lost is not calculated for strength exercises. My workout usually consists of push ups, sit up, in and out ab exercise and cat vomits. Is there any way of finding out how much these exercises are helping me with calorie burn?

Cat WHATS????
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Cat WHATS????

Seriously. Cat WHATS????
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    There is an entry under cardiovascular for calisthenics. It's not exact, but it approximates the calories burn well enough for push ups, sit up, pull ups and other body weight exercises.
    What the hell is a cat vomit though?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just estimate and put everything under cardio. . . usually a low estimate.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Cat WHATS????
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Glad YOU asked!!!!!!!
  • MumOfADuo
    Options
    There is an entry under cardiovascular for calisthenics. It's not exact, but it approximates the calories burn well enough for push ups, sit up, pull ups and other body weight exercises.
    That is the question of the day.....I am going to google it!!!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Under Cardio, there is a category "Stength Training (weight lifting/weight training)". I don't really know how accurate it is, and it doesn't distinguish between heavy lifting and light lifting. But I use it as a general guideline.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people that wear their Heart Rate Monitor while doing all sorts of exercises and then just logs them as one big thing at the end of their workout. a HRM will be the most accurate way of knowing how many cals burned from any activity anyway.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    cat vomit is an ab exercise.. you get on your hands and knees and you look like a cat who is hacking up a hairball..
  • MumOfADuo
    Options
    That is the question of the day.....I am going to google it!!!
    [/quote

Note to self, never just google cat vomit...
    Here is what I found tho:

Unfortunately, laughing repeatedly inside the gym will get you a
    straitjacket or a plate to the pinnacle, so here’s the other:
    1. Get on all fours and keep your gaze focused either directly
    under your head or slightly in front of you. Don’t arch your back
    or strain your neck.

2. Forcefully exhale from your mouth until all air is fully
    expelled. Your abs must be contracted from this forceful exhale.
    Full exhalation is critical to contract the transverse abdominals,
    and you’ll use gravity to offer resistance.
    3. Hold your breath and pull your belly button upward toward your
    spine as hard as you will for a target of 8-12 seconds.

4. Inhale fully throughout the nose after the 8-12 second hold.
    5. Take one breath cycle of rest (exhale slowly out the mouth,
    inhale slowly during the nose), then repeat the above for a total
    of 10 repetitions.
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Also, here's a link to a youtube video that explains what a "cat vomit" is. Think of the way a cat's body contorts when they're trying to force up a hairball/vomit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCT1AHrjX_k
  • BorgieMN
    BorgieMN Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people that wear their Heart Rate Monitor while doing all sorts of exercises and then just logs them as one big thing at the end of their workout. a HRM will be the most accurate way of knowing how many cals burned from any activity anyway.

This is what I do.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    HRM is not an accurate way to gauge strength training calories, best for aerobic exercise m
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Ahh... ok... I was not aware that was called a cat vomit.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    haha wow cat vomit? learn something new every day! :tongue:
    Under Cardio, there is a category "Stength Training (weight lifting/weight training)". I don't really know how accurate it is, and it doesn't distinguish between heavy lifting and light lifting. But I use it as a general guideline.

^ This is what I do, and use the numbers from my HRM. MFP tends to underestimate my lifting cals burned and true, even the HRM is not as accurate for strength... but better than nothing! :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    haha wow cat vomit? learn something new every day! :tongue:

^ This is what I do, and use the numbers from my HRM. MFP tends to underestimate my lifting cals burned and true, even the HRM is not as accurate for strength... but better than nothing! :smile:

sorry to inject a moment of seriousness into an otherwise fun thread, but this is incorrect advice. when it comes to strength training, HRMs are, in fact, worse than nothing. dead serious. they are wildly inaccurate in the wrong direction and will have you overeating and coming up very short on your weekly weight loss goals.

To the OP, I honestly wouldn't log the calorie burn from any of the stuff that you are doing. I'm not saying it's not real exercise, I'm saying I would expect better weight loss results if I didn't log and eat back those minimal burns. Strength training really shouldn't be done with calorie burns in mind anyway, IMO
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Cat vomits is really an exercise? LOL