I feel sick

So I've been having some problems with musculoskeletal pain and whatnot. In last six months some dizziness too. Since first round of testing came back normal, doctor wanted to do a MRI just to rule out the possibility of something in my brain. Said she thought I most likely had some type of arthritis and/or autoimmune issue, but thought I should since some of my symptoms could be an issue with my brain instead. Said they'd call my insurance and make sure it was ok with them and they called back was told all was good to go with my appt.

Yeah well sure it was all good to go, seeing as my insurance only has to pay like $80 for a $1000+ procedure. Since they said they called my insurance and took care of it, and didn't say anything like, oh this could cost a lot of $$$, stupid me didn't bother to check on my own before having it done. I haven't gotten a bill or anything, but thought maybe I'd have a small copay even though what they implied to me I wouldn't, so while I was on the insurance site for other stuff thought I'd check for the heck of it. And now I'm very screwed because I don't have that kind of money. Especially with the threats of job layoffs, car repairs, potentially having to move in next few months for work should said job ends, my end of year "bonus" (that I count on as part of my meager salary since I've not gotten a pay increase in years) getting a huge cut, and all the other **** that seems to pile up.

I'm rather pissed I wasn't warned (and I'm sure as hell gonna say something to my doc), but mostly I'm just upset and trying not to just start balling. Not-so-Funny thing is my doc has been persistent about maybe just having problems being stressed causing physical problems - well congrats doc, if I wasn't before I'm ****in stressed out now. Merry effin xmas to me.

Replies

• dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Did they use a doctor or facility that was outside your network? That seems quite unreasonable for the insurance company to pay only $80.

If the facility is in your network, the place that did the MRI should write-off part of that amount and leave you with a smaller bill. It is possible to appeal the decision made by the insurance company, just read your EOB carefully when you get it.

Whatever you do, call the facility once you receive their billing and explain your situation and at least set up a monthly payment that you can live with. If you ignore the bill, they will turn it over to a collection agency and then you will be hounded day and night. Most medical facilities are willing to work with you if you show that you are willing to pay the bill but just need the time to do so.
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Its what the online insurance site gave me for the estimated cost for an in-network place (which I thought was ridiculous too, but *shrugs* they're weird about what they will/won't pay, things I wouldn't have thought would be covered they paid in full, while simple things they cover little to nothing on, go fig). But yeah, I'll have to wait and see when I get a bill and hope they don't give me too much grief over making payments. Initial sticker shock just was like a punch to the gut.