Calling all second shifters!!

Options
Hello to all!

I work second shift 3:30pm-12:00am and I am also a single mom. Therefore, trying to figure out a good time to work out and eating right throughout the day is a challenge sometimes. Also when I get off work I get hungry :-/, just looking for support, motivation, and tips to still be healthy working the hours I do :-)

Replies

• ctroxell2004
    Options
    I work 2nd shift too...but usually 10+ hours. I haven't been on the shift very long so I'm still trying to figure out the sleep/work out/eating/work thing.

One of my problems is I wake up and want to eat lunch/dinner food...when I should really be eating oatmeal and yogurt breakfast type food. And I'm the same when I get off I'm hungry too......

Would be good for us to help each other any tips are appercaited LOL
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I work 2 - 10pm. All I want to do is sleep. Then I dont eat before work. Then over eat at night. I could use some help too.
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    I used to get up at 8 am and do my errands and take care of my son and then put him down for a nap at noon - work out for sn hour then shower and get ready tor work at 230 pm. It worked well. I would get hungry st night too but if I brought s grsnols bar or something with protein. And ate it right before I got home it was ok! Good luck guys!
  • Sarahsue94
    Options
    I don't have a lot of experience with this but maybe something you can do is design a schedule and get really specific. Like clear down the the hour of what you will be doing, and what you should be eating. Try to stick to that for a little while and hopefully after getting into the routine it will just be habit.

My friend Jake recently took a job where he works 7pm-7am and still goes to the gym a lot, I could talk to him about what he does and get back with you.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options

One of my problems is I wake up and want to eat lunch/dinner food...when I should really be eating oatmeal and yogurt breakfast type food. And I'm the same when I get off I'm hungry too......

It really doesn't matter what one eats for breakfast or 'when' --- just so's ya know.

I work 3p-11p (and 8a-11a 3 days/week) I eat what I want, when I want, as long as I am within my calorie goals. I use a crock-pot a lot. If I am hungry when I get home, I eat, IF I am within goal. (sometimes, even when not, IF I am really hungry and not eating emotionally, high stress job)

Currently I use my job as my 'work out' since I am walking ~6 hours/night.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    What kind of work you do? I used to work at your hours typically but I found many ways to work at work. I could easily fit in a 5k walk during a 8 hour shift along with some calisthenics etc
  • robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I work either 2-midnight, 3p-0100 or there abouts and a 1 hour communte home. Eat breakfast when you get up, but make sure you get up at the same time every day 8 or 9 am. then go excercise. I like to eat on my way to work around 1 or 2 for lunch, then a light snack at work in the late afternoon then dinner around 7pm. And whatever you do stay out of the lounge, it always has goodies that once I start, I can't stop. If I can stay out of the lounge, i can do ok. I try to eat an apple or something on the way home to stay awake at that god awful hour. Alll this being said, I fall short on lots of days and just put on 4 pound over thanksgiving. That took care care of all my weightloss for Oct. Oh, well, back on track now.
  • robinalexis
    robinalexis Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Post menopausal weight loss sucks. lost 4 pounds 2 weeks ago, switched shifts to 2nd shift last week, and gained 3 back. Damn cortisol and weight gain. How do we get around that?