Ugh, any suggestions on craving sweets?

Options
Any good ideas for someone who can walk away from any unwanted food, unless its a bag of peppermint kisses, or m&m's, or cookies, or or or...you get the idea.
It's been worse with the holidays of course. Seems someone brought something chocolate about every darn day. I just hate the way this stuff makes me feel and really would like to try to find a way to stop craving it!
Thanx :)

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Remove all the sweets that you can, and make the conscious decision before the day starts that you won't eat any that are around.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Keep some frozen grapes in your freezer, they are super sweet, you have to eat them slowly to fully enjoy them (and avoid brain freeze) and they are low cal and healthy. Yum :)
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just make up your mind that you aren't going to have any, or stick to a set number of candies. After a couple days, you'll find that you don't even really crave them anymore, it's crazy!
  • shortxtina
    shortxtina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If it's chocolate or sweet that you crave, I've started buying the sugar free or low fat jello pudding cups. The sugar free ones are 60 calories and the low fat I think you can find for around 100 calories. They have different flavors and they tend to satisfy my sweet craving without busting my calorie count for the day. I'd caution against eating too many of the sugar free ones at once as the sugar substitutes can give you gas/stomach pains, but if you're just looking to satisfy a sweet craving this may do the trick.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Any good ideas for someone who can walk away from any unwanted food, unless its a bag of peppermint kisses, or m&m's, or cookies, or or or...you get the idea.
    It's been worse with the holidays of course. Seems someone brought something chocolate about every darn day. I just hate the way this stuff makes me feel and really would like to try to find a way to stop craving it!

Suck it up and just dont have them. I'm not saying that in anyway it's easy to do but you need to get into that mind set that you really don't need them and that your stronger then the urge to have them. try having something sweet like a appe when you feel the urge for a sweet.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

You have to go absolutely fructose free for two weeks. That means no table sugar--the official name is sucrose (which is 50% fructose and 50% glucose) no fruit or even a few vegetables like tomatoes (they are technically a fruit and they contain fructose)--no maple syrup or honey either (honey is about two-thirds fructose). This will break your fructose addiction (fructose is the addicting part of sugar). Once you break the fructose addiction, you will no longer crave sweets physically (maybe the harder part will be breaking the psychological addiction:wink:

The good news is that once you break the addiction, you can resume eating a small amount of fructose in one or two servings of fruit a day (no sugar syrup though). Glucose, which is known as "dextrose" in the food industry is safe to eat in small amounts. It will raise insulin but it will not set off the extensively bad bio-chemistry that sugar will. If you simply "MUST" have something sweet, you can try something with only stevia as a sweetener. Wouldn't hurt to cut out simple carbs either as they raise insulin too and some think it causes us to crave sweets.