Insulin Resistance Diet

Options
I haven't been on Myfitnesspal in months. I looked at my projected weight loss(I know it isn't going to be exactly accurate) today and it said if I followed it correctly I could lose up to ten pounds by the end of January... I'd love that. It just seems that the Insulin Resistance Diet is impossible for me. I know there are medications like metformin and such, but I don't want to take them for two reasons. 1: I don't have health insurance, and 2: I know you do much better with just pure diet and exercise. Where I work I'm on my feet 6-7 hours a day 4-5 days a week. If anyone has done this diet is that good enough excersise for it or should I be doing more? It's mostly just walking and being on my feet, there is some lifting but not alot. Should I be doing more? And, does anyone have any tips of things I should eat or supplements I should take? It' just seems so overwhelming and I always give up...

Thanks

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed as insulin resistant?

ETA: I just saw on your profile you have. To be honest, the best way to 'treat' it is to lose weight. Keep it simple. Use the site to track food - eating a balance of foods comprising mainly whole foods that are nutrient dense at a reasonable caloric deficit. Add exercise into your week if you can (but it sounds as if you are pretty active). Make sure you do some resistance training,
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Your activity, IMO, would be considered NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) that should get figured in to your activity level rather than exercise you would log daily.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/286/5/E675.full (See section on Occupational NEAT)

Most people can lose weight without dedicated exercise by diet alone. For some of us with metabolic disorders, adding dedicated exercise on top of the level of activity you're already accostomed to can make all the difference in seeing results. I don't think it will be impossible to lose weight with just your regular (active!) activity, but I suspect that you will see better results if you try to add some extra on top. The best thing you can do for insulin resistance is lose weight.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What kind of diet are you on?

About 8 years ago I was diagnosed with IR, and my doctor told me to go low carb--like 50g net carbs per day. I lost 20lbs in 2 months and reversed my IR. Funny thing is, even when I hit my all time high of 228lbs, the IR never resurfaced.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I would advise taking it one step at a time. Log your food on map. As soon as you can afford it, get a fit bit or nike fuel band or jawbone UPS. wear it to determine how much activity you are getting in.

I have lost weight before without exercising, but this time around it really helped me to log my activity and to see what my true activty level was.

One way you can log is to get one of those free or low cost low tech peodmeters you clip on your pocket or waist band. I think they are great, I just kept washing them or losing them.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any tips of things I should eat or supplements I should take?
    You'll find a bunch of low carb recipes here:
    http://yourlighterside.com/your-lighter-side-cookbook/
    and here;
    http://www.sugarfreemom.com/
    It' just seems so overwhelming and I always give up...
    People often give up because they are impatient. Most diet centers, dietary supplements and others leverage "quick weight loss" in their advertising because everybody wants a quick fix. When the weight doesn't magically fall off in 2 weeks they get discouraged and quit. The common simple advice for weight loss is, diet and exercise. I think it would be helpful if patience was added to the mix. The weight will come off, you have to stay on plan (proper diet) and be patient.

Diet | Exercise | Patience
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Your activity, IMO, would be considered NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) that should get figured in to your activity level rather than exercise you would log daily.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/286/5/E675.full (See section on Occupational NEAT)

Most people can lose weight without dedicated exercise by diet alone. For some of us with metabolic disorders, adding dedicated exercise on top of the level of activity you're already accostomed to can make all the difference in seeing results. I don't think it will be impossible to lose weight with just your regular (active!) activity, but I suspect that you will see better results if you try to add some extra on top. The best thing you can do for insulin resistance is lose weight.

Good advice here. Number one is to lose weight. Also, for awhile until insulin sensitivity increases, decrease carbohydrates. The other thing you can do it to add in some intense exercise activity. Most of what you are doing is low intensity and utilizes very little blood glucose or stored glycogen for energy. Getting your body to burning glycogen off and utiliziing and sometimes depeleting your blood sugar will help increase insulin sensitivity along with a calorie deficit. Good luck!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    What I do on my job, I don't consider exercise, no matter how much. Any exercise I plan other than my job is what I count. Exercise is key when dealing with IR. Get a copy of New Rules of weight Lifting for women. I find lifting is better mentally for me, because I can see results when I'm upping my weight or can do more reps and sets. Weight lifting also burns after you stop lifting. I get bored doing most cardio, It takes too long. I still do some cardio, but I don't focus on that.

Start with small steps. Read everthing you can get a hold of. Talk to people and see what you like and can stick to.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into low-gi foods and low starchy vegetables. My fiancee has PCOS and is predisposed to diabetes. I have a family history of it, so I watch what I eat. We have limited a lot of our high starchy vegetables and carbs (i.e. potatos, grains, corns, peas) and replaced them with alternative low starchy vegetables or low gi foods (rice replaced by barley, potatoes replaced by rutabagas, "mashed potatoes" replaced by pumpkins/winter squashes, cabbages, cauliflower, etc.). This is what works for us.

A lifestyle of 50 percent carbs, 25 percent fat and 25 percent protein may work for you.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just read a whole book on Insulin Resistant Diet that had some key point was with this type of diet - you balance you Carbs and proteins. You basically need to be eating half your protein to your carbs at the same time. So if a meal has 30 grams of carbs - you would want to eat 15 grams of protein at the same time.

Dairy carbs are not the same as fruit carbs, because they are a protein source at the same time.