Does weight fluctuate daily? If so, how much?

Options
I'm just wondering if you weight goes up and down every day. It seems I can weigh myself in the morning and then be at a different weight in the evening. Also my weight will differ from anywhere to 3-7lbs difference depending on the day. Is that normal? I have used several scales so I know it's not my scale. Any insight into this will be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• Hulk0511
    Hulk0511 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    it does to me also. I drink maybe 3-4 liters of water a day and that addas to your body weight as well as food eaten. I usually find when I wake up to go to work is when I need to weight this is when my day starts and my body has processed all I have consumed the previous day. I sometimes have a 5-8 lb swing in body weight.
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    Do you eat during the day? Drink during the day? Use the bathroom during the day? If so - then yes, your weight will be different at any given time during the day compared to when you first wake up...
  • SoopraBint
    Options
    i always weigh my self first thing in the morning without clothes and after a wee. i can gain a kg throughout the day :(

also different times of the month affect the reading...
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    It will vary from day to day as well. Mine generally varies about 3lbs from morning to morning (after I get up, use the bathroom, etc). Some times of the month it can vary more than that. Sodium and exercise can increase temporary water weight as well. Definitely morning to night will be a decent difference.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Easily some days can differ by as much as 10 lbs. depending on what I ate and how much water I consumed.... That is why my weigh in day/morning has always been Wednesday morning, its far enough removed from the weekend when we tend to have a couple eat out meals so if I am holding on to any sodium it should be out of my system by then. Best of Luck...
  • wonderstruck91
    wonderstruck91 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Mine goes up as much as 5lbs by the end of the day, especially if I drink a lot of water
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also my weight will differ from anywhere to 3-7lbs difference depending on the day.
    I weigh myself at the same time every morning without clothes and on a pair of decent scales. In my case my weight can easily fluctuate by 3lbs from day-to-day, sometimes more. (That's compared to a body weight of roughly 185lbs at the moment.) Nothing to worry about.

SS
  • Infauna
    Options
    You have to take into account food/water weight, clothing weight (if you weigh yourself with clothes on), etc. Sodium, undigested food, drinks, etc will make your weight higher at the end of the day. My weight fluctuates by 2-3lbs at the end of the night with the highest it's ever fluctuated being 5lbs. That's normal.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yep mine fluctuates 2-3lbs during the day
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes. Depends on the person. I can do 2-10lbs because of my fluid intake and medications.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Of course it does. Not only can it be different day to do, but it can be different hour to hour. It's influenced by things like what you've been eating in a day, how much water you've had, how much retention you're having, etc. It's not necessarily fat gain that keeps going up and down. That happens on a more consistent level. One's weight can fluctuate by as much as 5 pounds in a day (if you were to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before eating anything, and then again at the end of the day, it'd most likely be higher).