Tell me about Boxing Day . . .

Options
tuckerrj
tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
Okay all you from the British Isles, Australian and wherever else it's observed.... What exactly is Boxing Day and/or what does it mean to you? We're celebrating a belated Christmas today and were wondering if that makes it "Boxing Day".

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    really, no one?!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Canadians are silly...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, it's for giving presents or thank yous to the people that work the sh*tty jobs. Giving something to the mailman, garbageman, delivery guy, etc..
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, it's for giving presents or thank yous to the people that work the sh*tty jobs. Giving something to the mailman, garbageman, delivery guy, etc..

^^^ that's what I heard too. It was originally for the household servants, they had to work on Christmas day, but they had boxing day off and the family they worked for would put gifts in boxes for them.

Sorry for the vague explanation, it's what I can vaguely remember from what I was taught in school. For most people boxing day = the day after Christmas, and the day you eat lots of turkey sandwiches and other leftovers from Christmas day.

Lets see what wikipedia has to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_day
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, I just assumed everyone celebrated Boxing day, or St Stephens day as its sometimes known, as far as I know there is not a definitive reason for its name, nobody is sure, it might be to do with the giving of what my parents called Christmas boxes, which was a monetary gift or tip to the postman, milkman, dustman etc or it might be the explanation given about the servants being sent home with a box of left over food etc on the day after Christmas, or the giving of alms to the poor from the collection box in the church

It is a public holiday here, like Christmas day
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I'm British, Boxing Day is a day to watch crap on TV and eat/drink too much, the end :laugh:
  • DaraEden
    DaraEden Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's for eating the leftover Christmas dinner, sitting down watching movies and then going out to get hammered.... generally
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I'm 'merican and boxing day to me is watching a couple a mans wrastle eachother in a square stage. Get 'er done!

Edit: To avoid possible strike
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    I am from Canada and Boxing Day is tomorrow <3

we eat lots of leftovers and watch movie/tv show marathons
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie living overseas and someone asked me this question this week... and I have no idea (might go google it) but all I think of when people mention boxing day is cricket... lol
  • SvelteBrah
    Options
    Watch football all day
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm British, Boxing Day is a day to watch crap on TV and eat/drink too much, the end :laugh:

^^This! & this.... As stated previously originally gift giving day for servants.. It's now a bank holiday..