recommendations treadmill or elliptical???

Options
my fiance is letting me buy a cardio machine for our home, at the gym it seems like the elliptical is way better for calorie burn however all the in home versions seem a little cheesy and not as good, a lot of the nordic tracks seem really nice and sturdy i'm torn between which one i should choose. does anyone have an elliptical in their home? any recommendations?

Replies

• cphillips83
    Options
    My mom has both a treadmill and elliptical. It all comes down to preference. I know she uses her elliptical more and my dad uses the treadmill more. There seems to be more burn with the elliptical though because you are using your arms and more muscles in your legs.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    treadmill ould be my choice I have a higher end elip and its still no were near the gym ones it creeks and squeeks and its boring
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i have an elliptical at home and you are right its not as good as the ones in the gym but its great for home workouts and I am more inclined to hop on it then on a treadmill.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical. I can burn more calories on it then I can a treadmill and it gets my ski legs in awesome shape. I have lost 77 pounds using it. I had a treadmill but found it to be boring and not as efficient in the calorie burning category for me.
  • uglydeuce
    uglydeuce Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Why not do both and a stair stepper thrown in there? I can't recommend the Cybex Arc Trainer enough! Adjust the height and you're either jogging or using a stair stepper while still being as gentle as an elliptical on the joints. My old gym had a bunch of them and I'll tell you I've never busted my *** so hard on anything before! I'm someone who loves to push themselves and if you like to as well I cannot recommend this enough!

http://www.cybexintl.com/virtualCoach/ArcTrainer.aspx
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the nordic track audio strider 990 and I LOVE it! I had a treadmill and just didn't feel like I was getting a good workout. I use it 5-6 times a week for an hour. But as previous people have said, it definitely is a personal preference. I love feeling like my entire body is getting a workout, not just my legs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Why not do both and a stair stepper thrown in there? I can't recommend the Cybex Arc Trainer enough! Adjust the height and you're either jogging or using a stair stepper while still being as gentle as an elliptical on the joints. My old gym had a bunch of them and I'll tell you I've never busted my *** so hard on anything before! I'm someone who loves to push themselves and if you like to as well I cannot recommend this enough!

http://www.cybexintl.com/virtualCoach/ArcTrainer.aspx
    I would recommend this one too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aliez
    aliez Posts: 11
    Options
    i would love to get an arc trainer but i can't find any cheaper than like 3,000 bucks so not happening lol it seems like for the money you can get a better quality treadmill than any of the others i wish i could get the quality of the gym machines without spending thousands of dollars ugh no fair lol