Is something wrong with this....

melbhall
melbhall Posts: 519
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I feel like I may be missing the point of this whole calorie counting thing. I find that most days (okay, everyday) I exercise so that I can eat. I'm given 1400 calories per day but I really do feel like I can eat more than that. Even when I choose the best foods I have available I still will run out of calories if I don't get in any cardio. I plan on exercising today and going for a walk in the park with the family but honestly I think I do these things so I can earn more calories. Is this a wrong way of thinking? I know some people don't eat their exercise calories back but I do, usually most of them. Should I force myself to stay at my 1400 mark or just keep working out and eating.

Replies

• gfcyclistjogger
    gfcyclistjogger Posts: 5 Member
    Some anecdotal and 100% amateur thoughts:

I have found that once you force yourself to eat less, while still eating "enough" so you aren't starving yourself, your appetite will adjust in kind. What was once a meal that would barely satisfy you will in time become a meal that will make you feel like you can't stand up and your stomach will explode.

Maybe try eating strictly within the calorie goal for a couple weeks without eating back (or only "some") of the exercise calories and see what happens to your appetite.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    while gfc is correct, that doesn't mean exercising to allow yourself to eat more is bad, in fact that's how it should be, although the thinking probably should be more like "Oh I exercised today, I should eat more" instead of, "I need to exercise today so I can eat more", know what I mean? But eventually your body will adjust to that, just be concious of what you're doing, it's when extra eating become the norm that we begin having problems.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    I tend to agree. Part of what you want to accomplish is to be able to eat less and feel full longer. Working on staying under 1400 will force you to make the best choices in order to be full and not feel like you can eat whatever you want as long as you burn it off (eating a Big Mac is a bad idea, even if you run the miles to negate the calories). Just moving more protein to your breakfast could have you eating less throughout the day!
  • melbhall
    Okay, I see what you both mean. I have already noticed that I am becoming full much sooner but still feel really hungry after workouts.

Boss, I agree, my thinking is off. Like right now, I'm saying to myself I have 593 calories left all day so I better exercise so I can still have an afternoon snack and dinner. I just don't know how to get out of this mindset! So far I haven't missed a day of working out so I don't know if I would go over on calories those days or if I would be very picky about what I ate...

Why does this have to be so hard?
  • melbhall
    I tend to agree. Part of what you want to accomplish is to be able to eat less and feel full longer. Working on staying under 1400 will force you to make the best choices in order to be full and not feel like you can eat whatever you want as long as you burn it off (eating a Big Mac is a bad idea, even if you run the miles to negate the calories). Just moving more protein to your breakfast could have you eating less throughout the day!

I agree. When I had that sweet cereal for breakfast I knew it was a bad idea. I was hungry a few hours later and had a granola bar, then a few hours later lunch. I just need to start my breakfast off right so it sets the tone for the whole day. I think I just really need to work on the mental part of weight loss because I surely don't have that down yet!
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    I'd like some feedback on this issue. That being, eating back ALL of the estimated exercise calories. I've read that you really need to adjust this and factor into the equation, subtract the calories you would have burned watching tv instead of exercise.

Example: You exercise 30 minutes, you burn say 200 calories given the tools available, then subtract from that what you would have burned for the 30 minutes had you not been exercising, let's say 75 calories. So you really need to factor 125 calories not the 200.

I've seen this on multiple sites explaining why some people are sabotaging their efforts.
  • Hi Melissa,

Give it time...your body will adjust. Before changing lifestyles...(not dieting) I consumed closer to 3,000 calories per day. Now, even when I exercise I am satiated with about 1,900 calories. I am on a temporary medical restriction about exercising so I am reducing my caloric intake to 1,670 calories per day. I don't worry about doing it in a day or two...I allow my body to adjust to it slowly. So, it may take me a week or so to get where I can eat less comfortably, but it will happen. When I can exercise again I will probably add a few more calories back...but, may not need to.

I think your thinking in terms of how many calories you can eat if you do X amount of caloric burning exercise is indeed healthy. You are changing your paradigm about food to understanding that it is fuel...and that exercise is a good thing...

Just give yourself time and stay the course, it will all work out for you.

John
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Everyone's metabolism is a little bit different, so 1400 might not be the right amount for you. That said (and to echo what mvl1014 said) you should really focus on making the calories that you do eat the very best kind. Four ounces of grilled chicken breast and two cups of steamed broccoli or sauteed brussel sprouts will easily fill me up for several hours. A sandwich made from deli meat and bread is the same or more calories, but just doesn't leave me feeling happy as long.

I did take a peak at your food log and wonder if cutting back on some of the processed foods and breads and replacing them with whole foods would help. I'm on about the same calorie intake and I rarely feel hungry throughout the day. Or, if I do (because it is meal time) I don't typically find myself running out of calories at the end of the day. And yeah, sugary cereal only keeps me satisfied for about half an hour in the morning! Try for eggs and veggies or oatmeal with a bit of peanut butter instead.
  • AndreaLee
    AndreaLee Posts: 23 Member
    I don't know if I'd worry about it, as long as you are making general progress, hey don't worry, be happy! You're getting out and exercising so what does it matter?
    I find that if I eat some form of protein with breakfast lunch and dinner, and then say I have a chicken breast at lunch, if I half it and save half for a snack a couple of hours later, I'm keeping my metabolism and my eating cravings happy. Plus you can eat a heck of a lot of veggies for very few calories....hopefully you like greens smile: I've also switched to whole grain pastas and breads even though higher in calories, they keep me full a lot longer.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Okay, I see what you both mean. I have already noticed that I am becoming full much sooner but still feel really hungry after workouts.

Boss, I agree, my thinking is off. Like right now, I'm saying to myself I have 593 calories left all day so I better exercise so I can still have an afternoon snack and dinner. I just don't know how to get out of this mindset! So far I haven't missed a day of working out so I don't know if I would go over on calories those days or if I would be very picky about what I ate...

In my opinion, what ever gets you up and moving is OK with me!!

The guys get a bizzilion calories to our 1200-1400 on a daily basis. I would NEVER have lost 37 pounds sticking to 1200 a day and no exericse. Exercise is GOOD for you...your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc.

I started the whole "will work for food" expression on here! LOL.....if I wanted a roll with dinner, I had to do my 20 min on the ellip.....NOTHING wrong with that baby!!

Jeannie
  • I'm not even sure if your thinking necessarily needs adjusting. I know some people who do counting and their heads work exactly the same way; they'll hop on the elliptical just so they can indulge a bit later on. I don't think that's necessarily wrong, or backwards.

If your head works that way, good for you. "I think I'm gonna go for a jog so I can have something special for dinner" is better than "I think I'll skip exercise so I don't have to stuff myself later on".
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    I don't think there is anything wrong with exercising to eat more but I do think you should try to really sit down and look at what you are eating to plan some meals that are a little bit better - more fiber, more protein, etc.

I prefer to find that I have extra calories then feel like I HAVE to exercise just to compensate for eating over my calories, ya know? It just cuts the stress out. Plus there are days where exercise is just not an option or not as much as is necessary to compensate and then it stresses me out to have all those extra calories.

A few things - do you meal plan for the next day? I have found that it helps me tremendously to meal plan and do all my allotment of calories so that I already have an idea of what I will be eating the next day. I find if I track as I go I end up with not enough calories, I eat more, don't feel well and usually don't feel full. In some ways I have tricked my body because I am eating more often and more (different foods) but they end up being less calories. But because they are so much better- fiber, protein, good fats, etc. it makes a HUGE difference. Good luck!

Also - how much water are you drinking?

ETA: not to be too intrusive but are you breastfeeding? If you are that changes things a whole lot. I was so much hungrier when I was BFing and a lot of women find that they don't lose weight as easily while breastfeeding (or the opposite for some) but just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • melbhall
    This is kind of a general response to everyone, hope that's okay...

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I do eat way too many foods that are processed. I've been a turkey sandwich on wheat, with potato chips and a soda kind of girl for many many years. One day I switched to diet soda and then eventually just to water. I think it would definitely be beneficial to start planning my meals ahead of time and getting more protein and veggies. I guess old habits are just hard to break and I can't expect to change myself radically overnight.

I am not breastfeeding now, but I did for six months. I was hungrier then and didn't lose any weight. Now that my son is on formula I felt it was safe to give this dieting thing a go!

I am drinking more water than before but still not as much as I should. I often find that I crave milk or even a glass of juice but am scared to have it because I am constantly stressing about how many calories I have. I feel like I have this exercising thing down but it's the nutrition part that I seem to be clueless about.

So thanks again for all of your thoughts and advice. I do understand that as time goes on I'll be more knowledgable about this and will make better decisions it's just really scary right now because I want this so badly. I want to do all the right things now so I'm not wasting my time.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Seems like you are doing really well so far! It is indeed hard to drastically change one's habits all at once.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    That sounds great. I will tell you - when I was bf'ing I ate WAY more than not. Sounds like you are still pretty fresh from the weaning so it's going to be an adjustment to your body to lower your food intake/calories. It's a process for sure! My only other advice (which you sound like you are already doing) is to take steps. For me, when I first started I got my calories under control. Then I picked something to focus on - fiber. Now I am eating a lot of fiber every day and have figured out how to do that easily. Next was sodium - working on lowering that. Now I'm to the point where I am making sure I have enough protein and I'm starting to swap out less nutritious snacks for better ones. But only one at a time so I can teach myself how to eat better slowly.

For example - I cut out granola bars in favor of something like cottage cheese. I got rid of the strawberry lite yogurt in favor of nonfat plain yogurt with some agave nectar. Cut out white bread in favor of the orowheat sandwich thins. Since I did it one small thing at a time it wasn't hard at all and it has helped me stick with it! Good luck! You can do it!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    What I did was add a fruit or veggie to each meal. I had zero veggies and fruit before coming here. Well, except french fries!! :laugh:

I decided I would have 1/2 a banana, orange or apple with breakfast

ate the other 1/2 for snack

added carrots and celery to lunch in place of the chips. It took a few days, but now I love my carrot crunchies with my turkey sandwich!! As a matter of fact the waiter ax brought chips on my plate yesterday and I just took them off......put em on a napkin and kept talking to my husband. :huh: Didnt even think about it until he pointed it out!!

Point is, we can make NEW habits! YEAH!:drinker:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    You earned them, so you get to eat them. Lots of us workout so we can eat more- that's not cheating, that's being smart and doing what we have to do. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Being conscious of it is the best thing you can do, eventually, as you find things you love for exercise, the exercise becomes the reward instead of the work needed to get the reward.
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    I dont think there is anything wrong with your thinking. I do the same thing. The deficit that is causing you to lose weight is from the decreased amount of net calories consumed overall, based on what you would normally consume just to maintain.

So whats the point of exercising then? Well it does wonders for our bodies AND it allows us foodies to eat more :laugh:

Point is, exercise is good for you. Eating is good for you. Tighten up what you are actually consuming into healthier, more satisfying calories, and even better! Your body will feel better running on more nutritious calories. And if you want to eat more...then exercise more. I work out for 2 hours every Saturday AM to make sure I have enough calories for the day. Nuthin wrong with it!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member

I think I'm missing something, because I don't see a problem with what you're doing. When you're losing weight, you're eating at a deficit- that means you're not giving your body the calories it needs and wants to maintain its current weight. It's natural to want more food. There's nothing wrong with exercising to increase your calorie allotment. The mentality may seem off, but really it's the most logical thing to do. When you've been doing all of the wrong things for a long time, it takes time to adjust to a whole new way of life. Maybe eventually your thinking will turn from "I'm going to exercise so I can eat more" to "I worked out, so I need to eat more", but either way, you're getting the job done.
This discussion has been closed.