How Far Do You/Would You Drive To Go To The Gym?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I choose to drive as minimally as possible. For dancing I will walk and take the train. Depending on where I am dancing it can be anywhere from a train ride that is 35, 45, or an hour.

But, the gym is not a place I will travel for. That needs to be convenient walking distance. I walk to and from my gym and that takes me about 20 minutes each way (of walking, I would not drive that long for the gym). I would also not go to a gym if I had to take the train or bus to get there (in the past I was fine with that). When I was choosing where to live the school and gym and train station location were most important to me.

But, of course it makes a difference for you since you live far away from everything. I like to live in a location that works for walking and public transit. I do have a car. I just choose to drive as minimally as possible.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    every gym i've belonged to has been in walking distance and that's how i prefer it.

my current gym is 4 short blocks away
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the culture where you live- the last place I lived, a 30 min drive was no big deal. Where I live now, there is literally nothing in the area farther than 15-20 minutes away, and farther than 1 or 2 miles feels very inconvenient.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    10-15 minute drive. If it's more than that, I'll just make up excuses not to go. I know myself well enough to know that's what I would do. It has to be convenient for me otherwise I won't go.

The gym I go to now is about 10 minutes from my house so the distance is perfect. What I dislike about it is that it closes at 8 pm. I often prefer to workout at night and I wish they'd stay open until 10 p.m.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I used to drive 20+ minutes to get there, and I think that would be my max. Otherwise it's 1 hour of driving and 1 hour of working out.

Now, I just walk across the street.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Home gym in my basement. AND I still don't go there often enough.
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    more than 10 min would be too many!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Driving to the gym seems wrong
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My gym is a 30 minute walk each way. It would be ideal if it was about 10 minutes closer, but it's fine. That walk is a nice warm up/cool down for me.

I don't go to the gym every day. I go two or three days per week to lift, and work out at home on the other days with kettlebells and bodyweight exercises.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way... if my gym wasn't in my house, I'm not sure that I would ever go.
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Depending on traffic, the gym takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes (by interstate and street) for me to get to...There is one that is about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, but they charge something like $70 per month compared to $20 for the one I go to.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have like a 3 minute drive..but would go up to probably 15-20.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's about 3 mins. to the gym and 8 minutes for the outdoor trails I use. I used to go to a gym that was 10 mins. away but it was crowded and expensive. I would not travel more than 10 mins. for a gym, and there are enough around me that I don't have to.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    the gym in my home town doesn't open until 530. problem was, i had to work in a town 65 miles away at 7. so, i got a month to month membership in the town where i was working. i'd leave my house at about 4, so i could hit it for an hour and shower before 7. i think 100 miles would be my limit before i'd break down and buy a squat rack and some olympic weights

Can I have some of your dedication??

My previous gym was on the way to/from work so it was good.
    My new gym is 3.6 miles away and takes about 10 minutes or so depending how I hit the lights.
    I live about a mile from another gym and 0.3 miles from a Crossfit gym so I could switch and walk/run if I so chose
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't drive to go to the gym when I can stay home and do my Team Beach Body workouts like, Insanity, RevAbs, and P90X. I hate wasting time driving, looking for parking, changing clothes, and waiting around for machines or equipments.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I usually run to the gym...but in the wetness of winter I have been driving and it is only .75 miles away. ;)
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Mine's about 25/30 minutes away, but it's included in my college tuition, so I'm using it :-) My yoga place is the same distance and the people are so great it's worth it. Today I'm at my parents place so it will take about 45 min to get to yoga. I'm still going.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think people should post where they live. I live in Orange County, CA, so driving for 20 min to get somewhere is NOTHING. It takes me 20 min to get to Target, 10 to the nearest grocery store. My closest gym is about 8 min by car, but I didn't like it there. My new one is about a 15 min drive. People may scoff at me driving, but I'd have to walk up and over a 10% grade hill, be on a MAJOR street for an additional 5-6 miles AND cross a freeway. We have really cruddy public transportation.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Depending on traffic, the gym takes anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes (by interstate and street) for me to get to...There is one that is about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, but they charge something like $70 per month compared to $20 for the one I go to.

OMG NO!!! I'd rather scrimp and save to pay an extra $50 a month to avoid 40-80 min. round-trip commute to/from the gym. I would NEVER go if I had to sit in traffic for that long. How much do you blow in gas and wasted time to travel there? :noway:

ETA: For the poster above, I also live in Southern California and I get that you do have to drive most everywhere (because public transportation is lacking and it's not pedestrian friendly) but I'm wondering why you have to drive SO FAR to find stores and gyms. They are all over the place...
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I walk