Running program easier than C25K?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The point of C25k is that it is meant for people who've never run before. My orthopedist just had me rest for a few weeks because I basically pulled a muscle, because my body has never run this much before (I'm on week 5, but now stopping for 2 more weeks). I allows me to use the bike or the elliptical in the mean time. Your muscles are just not used to running when you start, no matter how athletic you are.

I took a quick look at your profile and you're right.. you are not totally out of shape and you are not as heavy as I am! You need to run really slow.. basically speed walk with running. This is not about sprinting. I was running really fast when I started and now I'm a super slow runner. This is about building it up so you can run for about 30 minutes.. and the only way to do that as a beginner is to run super slow.

And don't think of it as repeating weeks. You're just doing week 1 in 3 weeks. That's totally fine. Even now, I'll go back and run a week 2 run if I'm not feeling up to the week I'm in.

Even if you were going to choose an easier program, you need to slow down to succeed in becoming a runner.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Consider a bicycle. =)
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    One, try running slower. I was going at 5mph and wasn't able to keep it up. I dropped to 4.2-4.4 and suddenly I could.

Also, since my phone kept crashing the C25k program/app, I gave up and found out the Endo app has something called "Inverval training" that you can create & adjust. I made the C25k weeks in there and tweaked them (Week 2/3 days 1-3 instead straight W3) cause as much as I could, I couldn't get a full 3 min run. Maybe if you make your own time scale/pace, it might help.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I finally after almost a year of running am finally able to bump up the speed of running. Normally I only can run 4.0-4.5mph but recently bumped it up to 5. I started out doing c25K and then got bored and it felt too exhausting (granted I started running after 6 weeks post partum) so I started up my own, where I would run for one song, walk one song and kept that up for a while. I am now finally able to run 4-6 miles and have done five 5ks. I would run on road but since the snow and everything else hit, I am having to run on a treadmill. Once the weather breaks, I plan on running on road again.

My advice to you is one slow it down if necessary, but two you can always tweak it to fit you. Running kicks anybody butts, but the rewards feels amazing.
  • ashleybreuer
    ashleybreuer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are trying to run at too fast of a pace. I got really hung up at week 3, those 3 minute segments were killing me and literally a week ago I found that in order for me to sustain the running i have to run between 3.8 - 4.5 mph which is literally walking speed but if you keep a jog/trot I found that I could run and run and run and not feel like I was dying. The key is endurance and not speed/pace. Find a comfortable pace for you and just stick it out there until you get to the point where you can slowly start going up in speed. Good luck!