No Appetite

Options
For about a week now, I haven't had much of an appetite. I'm struggling to get my cals and can't even think about snacking. Any ideas?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that happened to me when I went too low on my cals, when I first started and again about 6 months later. In the beginning I went from a million calories a day to 1200...............zap, just like that. After 2 weeks I had NO appetite at all. Couldnt bring food to my mouth. The doctor told me I had shocked my system and must eat something every 3 hrs.

So I got back to normal, went to 1300 a day + exercise cals which averaged about 1600-1800 a day total food intake. After 6 months I plateaud and got pissed off.............so i went down to 1200 a day, and did not eat any of my exercise cals.

BANG.........no appetite, couldnt eat again. Thanks to steve/ banks/ boss on here, I increased daily over a few weeks and started over, yet again
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    sorry ....had to go get food out of the oven....lol

Anyway.......I think we need a bit more info on your situation. Then I bet a bunch of ppl chime in on what they did!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    maybe up your exercise too. When do you work out? For a while I wasn't hungry at all until I had worked out and I was doing it in the afternoon, so I switched to 2 short routines, 1 first thing in the morning and one in the mid afternoon. It helped.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Every now and then I don't have much of an appetite either, and will struggle to eat my daily calories, especially on a day when I've exercised a lot, such as a full day of snowboarding, when by the end of a day I can't possibly eat 1100 more calories! Well, I could....but they would be crappy calories such as beer and bacon cheeseburgers, not healthful ones. But Ihave recently discovered that if I am too much under my goal for a day or two, then I am RAVENOUSLY hungry by day 3. Makes me think that my body has gone into starvation mode and is craving lots of calories.

So try to find a way to get the right number of calories in, maybe add some cheese or peanut butter into your diet which quickly adds up even if you don't eat a lot of it.
  • stacyoct19
    stacyoct19 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I walk 3 miles every other morning. My job doesn't allow me to workout in the middle of the day because I sweat easily and don't have time to shower. I don't have time in the evenings because we go to bed early. We get up around 330 and 4am. I can have a little over 1300 calories on the days I don't workout, and then about 1700 on the days I do.

Could just be stress. We are getting ready to move in a week and had our car broken into. So it's been hectic. But sometimes the thought of food just makes me feel ill. I guess I just gotta suck it up and eat somethin then? lol
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Oh man.....stress will do it to ya! There is nothing wrong with skimpy calories one or two days.......but if you walk 3 miles and eat few cals each day, it will catch up with you.

I always try to eat something.......anything. I took celery and put peanut butter on it. cut it into 6 1" pcs and left them on the shelf in the fridge. Ate one every 30 minutes.........before you know it I was hungry!! Also...you can cook something that gets your hunger going.

In the restaraunt we would always make the garlic bread crumbs for the salad at 4 pm-1/2 hr before we opened. When the doors opened it smelled garlicky and buttery and made ppl hungry!!!

I hope all gets better for you soon!
  • Yammie
    Options
    Sometimes when the seasons start to change I lose my appetite, too. Almost like my body is ready to change up my foods but the season isn't quite here yet. At least, that's my experience. Try changing up your regular foods if you tend to stick to common menus becuase you know the nutritional value.
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    you could try fruit juice. Just be really careful when are buying it (unless you are ambitious and squeeze your own) and make sure you read the ingredients so you arent getting lots of artificial sugar. Those calories can add up too, and if you buy a good product you'll get lots of vitamins and antioxidants. I like chocolate milk, its good after a workout and depending on what kind you buy can be 100-160 cals a cup.