Need a Sugar Detox plan

Options
Well, my December has been a month full of sugar. I now find myself feeling "addicted" and need to start drastically cutting down. Please share your favorite healthy way to cut down without feeling the absence or experiencing major cravings.

I'm editing this to say, that I am not only posting this question for myself, but for others who are struggling with the same issue :smile:

Replies

• sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hahah I will be watching the thread for suggestions!

My first item of business today: pack up all this ridiculous candy that well-meaning family members put in my stocking and get it out of here! OMG the house is still full of stuff!

My second item of business: hit the gym.

Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Eat 20% less every day, but make sure to pinch some and throw it over your shoulder.
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    i just cut it out lol and deal with the 1-2 days of head aches.... dull the cravings and the withdrawals with nuts and fruit... i find its the fastest way...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    just don't eat it?
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My plan is upping my protein grams and taking l glutamine to help with the sugar cravings...so far so good!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! I have eaten so many sweets I could puke. I am going to try drinking herbal teas and crocheting as a distraction. lol Whatever you do, stay away from diet sodas. I think it just makes you crave worse.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a detox. They're all scams. Just drink water and stop eating it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just go cold-turkey. After 3 or 4 days of mostly lean meats, fruits, and vegetables, the cravings go away. If you want to reduce slowly, that's another option, but personally, it annoys me to make it more complex than it needs to be.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Eat 20% less every day, but make sure to pinch some and throw it over your shoulder.

I love this!!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    just don't eat it?

Ha! You are obviously a lot stronger than I am!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options

Now that's what I'm looking for!!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    I hear ya!! I have eaten so many sweets I could puke. I am going to try drinking herbal teas and crocheting as a distraction. lol Whatever you do, stay away from diet sodas. I think it just makes you crave worse.

I love the tea idea. I know that Good Earth has a tea that is naturally sweet without any added sugar. I completely forgot about this until you mentioned tea. I also agree with no diet soda - which I typically would drink but like you, I think it just makes things worse.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I would suggest intermittent fasting from it. If you are Catholic, fast from it as a form of penance (i.e. Betrayal Wednesday and Penance Friday). Slowly build up more days until you are no longer using sugar. If you are fasting during Spring, do the whole 40 days without sugar.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat sugar, then stop eating it. I'm not sure what you mean by "detox." Your body naturally detoxifies itself.
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    I am trying to make sure I dont have any of the junk in the house! I gave hubby a box of turtles and some decent Russell stover chocolates for Christmas! but since I gave them to him, I not gonna touch them .... Sure. Hope he doesn't offer me any!! Hehe.

I didn't make the traditional pumpkin or pecan pies this year. I only made two, banana cream and cherry. These don't tempt me at all.

Good luck with your choices!
  • mrsgoodwine
    Options
    If you don't want to eat sugar, then stop eating it. I'm not sure what you mean by "detox." Your body naturally detoxifies itself.

"Detox" was probably the wrong word. Just looking for a plan to get me back to moderation - not eliminate it completely :)
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd go cold turkey and add it back in if/when you feel ready to eat it only in moderation.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I started here in May, I abstained from all processed sugar for one month. Its not easy, but it DOES get rid of the cravings.