Cold weather running

Options
Does anyone have any tips for soothing a wheezy cough/throat after running in cool weather? I am used to running indoors, and today was a relatively nice Michigan day (about 38 degrees) so now after running I sound like an old man every time I cough and will need to clear my throat a lot today. Anything I can do to help it?

Replies

• Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    idk of anything to do after the fact, but i have to take an asthma inhaler before i run in the cold or else i get awful wheezing and coughing whenever i try to talk
  • blonide
    Options
    ah a midwesterners! After a nice hot shower/steam... I will drink hot tea after sometimes - also if you like, add a little pure honey which helps. a sugar free cough drop also doesn't hurt... warm liquids seem to do the trick for me.. .Great job on the run! I got one in this weekend as it was in the 40s on the east coast AND the snow for the 3 foot blizzard finally cleared enough room on the downtown streets... yay! well goood job!
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try adding a tbsp of honey and a tsp of lemon juice to a cup of tea (or plain hot water). I go through a lot of them up here in Northern Colorado.
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I live in Michigan too! It is almost impossible for me to workout outdoors in the winter here because my asthma gets so much worse in cold weather. Something that does really help that I have is a facial mask. You can buy at any sports shop and you just wear it when you run. The one I have looks like Hannibal Lecter though! But there are others, (I also have one from Columbia) and it's like a little neck warmer thing that can be pulled up over your mouth. It just looks like a scarf. That works almost as well and definitely doesn't look as creepy!

I like these because when you are breathing, it feels more humid because your mouth is covered.
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I am glad to know others face the same thing I do! I have been running outside in DC and some days if it is cold, as soon as I stop running I start coughing. I thought it was just me.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    next time you run outdoors in the cold, wear something over your nose/mouth like a gator, to prevent cold air from entering your lungs. Prevention is the best medicine!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    a cup of tea helps me out. So does a warm shower. I also agree with the gaiter/scarf/bandana around the face thing. I have one but it isn't awesome because it steams up my glasses- but I use it anyways.

HTH