Question about weights

Options
Can you still achieve the same results using the weight machines at the gym versus free weights?

I have a membership at planet fitness and they don't have free weights. I want to lose weight, but I also want to build muscle. I do understand that free weights gives you a lot more freedom with the type of exercises you can do.

Replies

• MissLuana
    Options
    You can achieve the same success with machine weights. I think one of the main differences between the two is that free weights help with your balance as well. The machine weights only require you to sit on them...LOL
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Can you still achieve the same results using the weight machines at the gym versus free weights?
    Sure!
    Just get in there and work a solid program designed by one who knows what they're doing.
    Either research this online, or hire a personal trainer.
    It really matters little. What matters is that you do the work over the months ahead.
    That's what will make the difference.
    Good Luck!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You can train the main muscle groups effectively with a good programme, but the stabilising muscles will be less developed vs. a free weight programme.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Define 'results.'
    Depending your definition: Yes or no.

To lose weight: Well, that's a function of diet.

To 'get muscles.' Well, you can certainly build muscle with machines.

However, yes - Stabilizers. So many other benefits.

Take someone that leg presses 300lbs and someone that squats 200lbs. The person squatting is stronger.
    Likewise for the same reason, a 100lb bench press is much more difficult with barbell/dumbbell than it is with a chest press machine.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My definition is non-existent. I have fairly muscular legs but I have limited upper body strength and I would say that my core is fairly weak as well. I guess my confusion comes from all the talk about heavy lifting....I was unclear if weighted machines fell under that category or not.

Thank you everyone for your replies.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    "Heavy lifting" is relative to each person. "Heavy" to you won't be the same as "heavy" to a 220 pound man who is used to heavy manual labor, even if both of you are beginners. If you can only bench press 15-pound dumbbells 8 times, that is a heavy weight for you; to somebody else, those 15-pound dumbbells would be so light that they wouldn't even be considered a warm-up set. Everybody has to start somewhere.

One of the nice things about being a beginner to strength training is that just about any halfway-intelligently designed training routine will give you good results - machines, free weights, bodyweight exercises, etc. If machines are what you have available to you (or they're where you feel most comfortable right now), go for it. You'll get good results if you put in good effort. I'll 100% guarantee you that every minute you spend working out on machines will get you better results than spending those minutes wishing you had free weights or wondering if free weights would give you better results. :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    My definition is non-existent. I have fairly muscular legs but I have limited upper body strength and I would say that my core is fairly weak as well. I guess my confusion comes from all the talk about heavy lifting....I was unclear if weighted machines fell under that category or not.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

freeweight compound exercises hit the most muscles the hardest in the least amount of time. But since we can't do those:

With machines, try to keep as compound as possible starting out. That means stuff that works more than one muscle.
    Like a leg press is good. (Stay away from the leg extension machine, if you like your knees. Also, it's a waste of time unless you want hypertrophy. On the other hand, the leg CURL machine is good)
    Lat pull downs very good.
    Glute-ham raise.
    Rowing machines
    Chest press
    Careful with shoulder press. I suggest using dumbbells and looking for form. The shoulders are easy to wreck.
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options
    "Heavy lifting" is relative to each person. "Heavy" to you won't be the same as "heavy" to a 220 pound man who is used to heavy manual labor, even if both of you are beginners. If you can only bench press 15-pound dumbbells 8 times, that is a heavy weight for you; to somebody else, those 15-pound dumbbells would be so light that they wouldn't even be considered a warm-up set. Everybody has to start somewhere.

One of the nice things about being a beginner to strength training is that just about any halfway-intelligently designed training routine will give you good results - machines, free weights, bodyweight exercises, etc. If machines are what you have available to you (or they're where you feel most comfortable right now), go for it. You'll get good results if you put in good effort. I'll 100% guarantee you that every minute you spend working out on machines will get you better results than spending those minutes wishing you had free weights or wondering if free weights would give you better results. :)

Very true. I would likely just end up injuring myself. I need to keep reminding myself to start at a reasonable pace and not think I am the hulk :laugh: I honestly don't like I would feel comfortable using free weights in a public place right now. I have 5 and 10 lbs dumbbells at the house that I uses. I know those aren't really anything but they work for now. Thank you.
    freeweight compound exercises hit the most muscles the hardest in the least amount of time. But since we can't do those:

With machines, try to keep as compound as possible starting out. That means stuff that works more than one muscle.
    Like a leg press is good. (Stay away from the leg extension machine, if you like your knees. Also, it's a waste of time unless you want hypertrophy. On the other hand, the leg CURL machine is good)
    Lat pull downs very good.
    Glute-ham raise.
    Rowing machines
    Chest press
    Careful with shoulder press. I suggest using dumbbells and looking for form. The shoulders are easy to wreck.

Thank you and a big thanks for the reminder about form!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I need to keep reminding myself to start at a reasonable pace and not think I am the hulk :laugh:
    Not only that, but if you start off with too much/too heavy you'll very quickly learn all about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)! It's no fun when you can't raise your arms high enough in the shower to wash your hair without feeling like somebody is jamming a burning knife through your arms, or to limp around all day and not be able to stand up/sit down without wincing and yelping because your legs hurt so bad! Start off light, work on form and let your body get accustomed to lifting, THEN start worrying about poundages.
  • xxnellie146xx
    Options
    ...I need to keep reminding myself to start at a reasonable pace and not think I am the hulk :laugh:
    Not only that, but if you start off with too much/too heavy you'll very quickly learn all about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)! It's no fun when you can't raise your arms high enough in the shower to wash your hair without feeling like somebody is jamming a burning knife through your arms, or to limp around all day and not be able to stand up/sit down without wincing and yelping because your legs hurt so bad! Start off light, work on form and let your body get accustomed to lifting, THEN start worrying about poundages.

That has happened to me way too many times. Since it's a delayed onset I feel fine for a bit and think I can handle it and then a few hours later or the next morning, I feel like I can hardly move.