Best gluten-free semi-"all purpose" flour?

Options
We are starting a semi-paleo diet. I'm finding that gluten is not good for my stomach and I get sick when I eat more than a small serving of beans. We are allowing dairy and rice since I seem to have absolutely no issues with either of them. I am wondering what kind of flour those who have gone mostly paleo or gluten free use that can be used for most baked goods. My hubby and son would be crushed if I took away their treats so I plan to still bake for them. I bake them something each week. I bake them mostly cookies or muffins and sometimes cake or pie. I would like to make them something that I can eat too if I decide to. What kind of flour would be good for these? Where can I get it without spending a ton?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I like the king arthur brand of gluten free flour. Its reasonably priced and works like the normal stuff
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump. Sorry I have no idea but I'm interested
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Coconut flour works for most things - but not everything.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I believe spelt or almond flour may be a good choice or a mixture of the two. Oat flour may be another option to consider. Basically, you want something that reacts similar to wheat flour when baking. coconut flour definitely does NOT!!

kingarthurflour.com has some great variety. They even have a gluten-free baking mix that may be worth a look.

I don't have gluten issues, but I do eat Primal-ISH and grain carbs are problematic for me as a trigger food. As a result, I'm moving way from baked goods using any type of flour period. there are some paleo websites/blogs that have desserts ..even brownies, that use no flour at all. I will scurry to my bookmarks to find a couple for you.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is Domata.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    K!

Everydaypaleo.com

on Facebook ...definitely LIKE Just Eat Real Food
  • Jessie169
    Jessie169 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can you have rice flour? I use that a lot, and almon flour (ground almonds), though I'm not gluten free.
  • diamondfit1
    diamondfit1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    almond flour is great for baking, it usually doesnt even end up tasting like nuts. Just remember to use in moderation because of the high omega 6's and the flour is a bit more calorically dense than wheat flour. However if you alternate between that coconut flour, and rice flours I dont see it being a huge issue. For rice and tapioca flours you will need xanthan gum to act as a binder, its kind of expensive but a little goes a long way and it will last you a good while.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    don't get Bob's mill gluten free, OMG tastes Mossey. had to throw out the flour and go back to the regular stuff.
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill all purpose gf flour is good.
  • flying_inside
    flying_inside Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    don't get Bob's mill gluten free, OMG tastes Mossey. had to throw out the flour and go back to the regular stuff.

Ha! Trust this more. I've never gotten too into baking and bob's worked for me a bit, but it's been a while.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi! Pamela's for me. I really love her stuff.
    Also - if you go to easyeats.com or glutenfreegirl.com they both have flour mixes that you can blend at home.
    King Arthur is good but you only get a teeny box and you can buy the component ingredients and mix your own at home for a lower price per cup.

Personally I stay way from anything that has Garbanzo flour. It tastes like dirt to me.

Cup 4 Cup is good, but REALLY expensive.
  • LessLikeHer
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I've been on everydaypaleo.com before but haven't checked out the other sites. Thanks for those suggestions! I'll definitely be checking into those as well. Does coconut flour give what your baking a weird flavor? I used coconut oil for sauteeing chicken last night and I was not thrilled with the taste though it wasn't terrible. I used oatflour for breading chicken for hubby last night and it wasn't too bad. How how is it to bake with oatflour? I'm not sure that's what I'll use since I plan to use little grains or oats. How hard is it to cook with rice flour and xanthan gum? I'm sorry for all the ?'s!! I'm new to all of this!