Things that your weight has held you back in?

Options

Replies

• veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    being batman

Please don't let us down.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    being batman

may i be your sidekick?
  • smykael
    Options
    My weight has stopped me from doing a lot of things, such as even wanting to go to public. I haven't seen any of my friends from high school because I'm ashamed of myself. I need to lose a lot of weight and I know it's going to take a long time..
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    A lot I guess. I still will wear a 2-piece top and a pair of shorts to the beach, as unattractive as I may look. I suppose the biggest thing is dating. But it could also be my confidence... I think maybe it all comes down to confidence and self-esteem...
  • Stacyplus5
    Options
    going swimming with my kids and being in any pictures.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    being batman

may i be your sidekick?

send me your resume.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Dancing. I use to dance but I always felt like I sucked at it, and I think that was because of my weight. Also, horseback riding in front of people. I use to be a great rider, now I feel anxious if I think someone is gonna watch me get on a horse.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I still hate taking photos, and the one from Christmas makes me feel like crap.

Dating: everyone said I was not marriage material but my husband married me because of my personality and loves me for me no matter what i look like, but I am not going back to 243. We have been together for 4 going to be 5 years and have been married for almost 2 years.

Bikini no way not even sure i will ever fit into one.

College: reason is because I have never been able to slide between things easily and honestly I can't wait for the day that I do.

I also don't wear dresses above my knees or mini skirts because no one wants to see my legs that are not muscular.

Confidence: never had it, and while I am working on it slowly, I still don't feel good or pretty or beautiful. I am also still trying to work on being decisive rather then not.

The list goes on, when you are told you are fat, you are not good enough, you will never amount to anything, yeah it has worn on me.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Dating because I thought I wasn't pretty enough, thus not worth it.

This, too. I was always wondering what men thought of me. When I did manage to catch someone's eye, I was constantly wondering if they thought I was too fat for them. After being intimate with a guy for a few months, I found out why he never let us be "public." He wanted me to lose weight first.

Needless to say, I told him to go F**k himself, and a year and a half later I am engaged to the love of my life as of three days ago and am getting married in October. He makes me feel like the only girl in the world....screw those other guys.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Dating because I thought I wasn't pretty enough, thus not worth it.

This, too. I was always wondering what men thought of me. When I did manage to catch someone's eye, I was constantly wondering if they thought I was too fat for them. After being intimate with a guy for a few months, I found out why he never let us be "public." He wanted me to lose weight first.

I can definitely relate on worrying if I was thought to fat for someone as well, but that guy... WOW! Good thing you ditched him.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    absolutely everything. But mostly, a social life. A dating life, and a life of loving myself. It's the root of all my terrible social anxiety, I am most certain of it. And then when I do lose weight, and get paid attention to, I run back to the food.

I know I am a good person, I'm fun, nice, and would do anything for the people close to me. But that being said, whenever anyone has ever paid me any attention on the romance area, I couldn't help but wonder why? I've always been *the friend* and a darn good one at that, but a romantic partner???? If I can't love myself the way I look, how can I expect anyone else to? =(
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Lets see going on walks im always out of breath yeah i never went to my prom because of my weight, umm Its bascily held me back from anything and everything, But i still managed to have self confidence,
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've never worn a bikini in my life, and I really want to.
    I've turned down a lot of work because I've felt uncomfortable with my figure.
    I haven't been able to wear some of the clothes that I like because I'm too big.
    I can't wear shorts because of my thunder thighs.
    Dancing in public/on a night out because I think I wobble too much/look terrible.
    Loving myself. I've never felt good enough to be loved by anyone, let alone myself.
    I won't let my boyfriend touch my stomach at all.
    I get extremely paranoid that people are staring at me because I feel fat.
  • mdyorston
    Options
    dancing...I used to go all the time, would even go to the club by myself. Now it just feels awkward. I hate having my picture taken.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Everything....
    ... self-esteem, sports performance, sleep, work, mood...everything....
    And once I lost enough weight not to be considered obese, I retained this self-loathing that I projected on anybody who was obese.
    Instead of feeling empathy, I was angry kind of like ex-smokers who become Nazi's about those who still smoke.
    It's been a struggle trying to get fit, and at times my frustration was misdirected.
    I never want to be that guy again.
  • TheLittleLebowski
    Options
    We're the secret brotherhood/sisterhood. I'm amazed at how much of this stuff I have felt or am feeling, like wearing a heavy chain around the neck.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Dancing, whether practicing by myself or social dancing. Never going to the beach. Not wearing something that isn't a hoodie or a turtleneck with jeans. Not really taking care of my overall appearance . . .

But that's okay, because I'm making changes to my lifestyle now & I'm not letting anything hold me back, not even myself!
  • ariadne1031
    Options
    Taking the kids to an amusement park. I'm too big for alot of the rides.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    So many things. TOO many things, and if I start counting them I'll probably come up with new things that hadn't occurred to me before :frown:

But oddly, NEVER the pool/lake/beach. As much as I hated my body in a bathing suit, the water always won this fish over, even at my heaviest.
  • awkwardpear
    awkwardpear Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my life.

^ ^ ^ This!!!

It got to a point that I didn't know if my insecurity was keeping me from doing certain things or if I was using it as an excuse because I was just plain scared. Even after I lost the initial weight and got to a healthier size, I was still so negative about myself and the world.

I'm still nowhere near as confident and positive as I'd like to be, but I'm so over using that to rationalize being lazy, apathetic, and withdrawn.