Adjustable Dumbbells.. what kind and why?

Options
I'm looking into gettting adjustable dumbbells. I want something up to or greater than 50lbs that is efficient. I've read a few articles about them but would like to real-world reviews- how did they old up, what features are must-have and what's a waste. Or should I be focused on getting more dumbbells and a rack?

I know you pay for what you get, so I'm prepared to spend the money.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I own the Bowflex SelectTech 552s (5-52.5 lbs.). I've had them for almost a year and they've held up very well. I don't drop/throw them around while working out, but they have been inadvertently dropped (hard!) a few times with no harm to them. Some people complain about the fact that they're larger (longer) than solid dumbbells - they are, but it hasn't negatively affected any of the exercises I do with them. They take up much less room than a rack of solid dumbbells, if space is a factor for you at all. The "must-have" feature I'd recommend is the storage rack - it takes up more room than leaving them on the floor, but it's also much more convenient to rack/un-rack them, change weights, etc.

If your workouts include a lot of banging/dropping dumbbells, I'd recommend a set of solid/cast ones instead - I'm sure they'd stand up to the abuse better than something with moving parts. Otherwise, I have no complaints/reservations about the SelectTechs.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Thanks Anvil- I don't do much (if any) dropping or throwing any of the weights around in my workouts, so I don't think that'll be an issue. I'm glad to hear the selecttechs hold up without any issues in the transition mechanism. I was leaning toward them but wanted real-world reviews.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of reviews before buying them too and was spooked by all the stories of the select mechanism breaking, but decided to take a chance on them because I liked them the best. Bowflex apparently beefed up the parts in the selection mechanism a couple years ago because of the breakage issues people were having. Mine are still very smooth, have a positive click when you turn them into place, and I haven't had any kind of failure from them.

I tried the Powerblocks in person at a sporting goods store and while the selection mechanism is a lot simpler with less moving parts, I didn't like the restricted wrist angle going into the grip portion.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I actually own pairs going up to 45lbs, and as far as adjustables, I've kept it pretty simple. I have the little dumbbell bars with the twist-on locks and a ton of plates to add to them - for how much weight I can put on them (I can create up to a 140lb dumbbell currently) it was cost-restrictive for me to buy adjustables, even though it takes me a bit longer to use them if and when I choose to do so.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into them also, so I will read the thread. But, from all the ones I looked through, the ironmaster ones looked good to me because they are shaped like regular dumbbells (which is the most logical design anyway). They are square, not round, so they work for T pushups, etc. And they are not made with an imbalance that could throw the weight off it's center of balance which is bad for the wrists (bowflex), or weird design that could knock into the wrist (powerblocks), etc. My husband wants to build some for me because he could make them in a logical design and for a very cheap cost, he has everything he needs at his job (he is a physicist and designs and builds very large machinery).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy handles and plates? So much cheaper.