Getting into lifting (as a cardio junkie) :-/

Options
Hey guys, I've just started up going to the gym again as I moved house to a totally different suburb so my local is just too far so I switched. Now I know that weight training is really good for weight loss but I don't know where to start or what to do or whether I'm lifting right/enough. I'm a cardio nut too so I tend to do heaps of it and tend to forget about weights. Oops... My aim is to be lean and toned and I know cardio isn't enough for that. How much weight should I lift? Im only lifting 27 kilos on the weight assist machines at the gym and I am finding it ok but still feeling the burn so to speak. I do 3 reps of 12 on the circuit. Is this enough? Also, should I do any free weights yet? Or do I start with the weight machines and get better at that first?

Replies

• rio66
    rio66 Posts: 49
    Options
    Or you could just ignore me. That's cool too. :-/
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    firstly, chill out. people dont spot posts sometimes.

have a look at new rules of lifting for a straightforward starting point.

personally i found it a little fiddly, and settled longer term on using the starting strength programme.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting is a good program, but it's detail oriented and time consuming.

If you're wanting something simpler, look at "Starting Strength" (it's a book) or the program Strong Lifts 5x5 - both programs focus on compound lifts.

Other options would be body weight training - google "Convict Conditioning" for a good start.

There's a lot of information about strength training here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it is almost never to early to start with free weights.

the machines are OK, but they have a set range of motion, and you don't need to use any stabilizing muscles to help.

The cable machines are a little better since they do not have a set range of motion. you have to use other muscles to help keep the correct range of motion.

Free weights are even better.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This is a great program, it has workouts laid out for 12 weeks along with diet. I hate cardio and love lifting, so the first phase that doesn't involve cardio was like a dream for me :)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer-phase-1-day-1.html
  • rio66
    Options
    firstly, chill out. people dont spot posts sometimes.

have a look at new rules of lifting for a straightforward starting point.

personally i found it a little fiddly, and settled longer term on using the starting strength programme.
    Sorry. My bad. I get frustrated! Lol! Thanks for replying though. I will be having a pt session next week so hopefully he will get me on track. I'm not into reading books for fitness (well not yet anyway) as I find I learn better with one on one training and/or feedback from others. Thanks for everyone's advice :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love New Rules of Lifting for Women. It has helped me to become extremely comfortable with the free weights at the gym and I've had excellent results. I'm almost finished with the program (8 more workouts to go) and will probably switch to Stronglifts and running for a few months to try to burn a little more fat off my middle. My arms, legs, shoulders and back are amazing right now.

Eventually, I will either re-do some or all of the NROLFW or choose another of the New Rules programs (the original, abs or the new supercharged). I generally do best with workouts that change all the time, and tend to get bored with the exact same thing, so New Rules works out really well for me.

The downside of NROL is that the workouts get a little long in the middle -- sometimes around 90 minutes with the HIIT included.
    Some of my friends who started NROL and had limited time to work out switched to Stronglifts 5x5.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Personally I recommend you read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's helped me immensely.
  • rio66
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies. I'll take a look at this book :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Can you do another rep? If you can, then increase the weight until you reach failure by your last rep. If your goal is to do 12 reps, then you should really be struggling to get that 12th rep. If your goal is 8 reps, you should be struggling by your 8th rep. (struggling means you wouldn't be able to get another rep with good form)