Trying to avoid bread...

Options
Seems like bread is a killer for me, Im trying to avoid it where possible, now I'm standing at the fridge wondering what to have for lunch. Dinner is easy ...ie grilled steak or chicken with steamed veg..easy, but i find myself standing at the fridge or pantry staring and wondering!!! I think its boredom...I SHALL GET THROUGH IT, maybe a boiled egg, some cold ham off the bone and some coleslaw today, then a big walk around the block to get my mind off anything edible !! Any new ideas for a bread free lunch???

Replies

• guesswho21122
    Options
    instead of eating bread, you should try pita bread or tortillas, they are much better then bread and you could make a good wrap with them. good luck!
  • mcanix
    mcanix Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Use lettuce leaves in place of your bread and have whatever you want on it...a burger, tuna salad, deli meats...whatever you would normally put on your sandwich. Or just stack your meats and cheeses, give them a squirt of spicy mustard, roll up and enjoy like that.
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    Actually those low carb wraps are quite good. Packed full of salad, its filling ! Thanks :)
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Greek or plain yogurt with some nuts.
  • LindaLM
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with bread, just go with a 100% whole grain. A couple of good other options are "Flatout" bread which is like a very thick tortilla in a bread form. Orowheat has come out with a bun the is thin. The whole roll is only 100 calories. It is whole wheat, good flavor and makes a great sandwich with half the calories.

Linda
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I have the same problem. I LOVE bread. For me, though, I am at work for lunch - so I usually end up making it the night before when I am not craving it. I try to eat either a frozen meal (as I don't monitor sodium) or I will bring a salad - I find adding tuna or lunch meat or a half ounce of cheese to the veggies makes them more satisfying.

Or, go for lower calorie bread - I know that Nature's Own Honey Wheat tastes GREAT but also have 110 calories per slice.. get a thinner bread you might be able to get two in at that intake.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread is also awesome. No actual flour, and since the grains are sprouted, digest easier and are much better for you. They make tortillas as well- great for a wrap or toasted for chips. I get sick and bloated if I eat any bread, but ezekiel doesn't have that effect on me at all. I don't eat alot of it, but it's nice to have toast or a sandwich or wrap sometimes.

:flowerforyou:
  • guesswho21122
    Options
    no problem!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    aunt millies fat free whole wheat bread is a pretty good sized slice, and only 60cal per. If you crave bread don't cut it out, you'll just want it more, just work it in to your calories so you can enjoy guilt free =) ... for me its junk food, haha, so as long as I do my full excercise routine I let myself have about 200cal of whatever, and it really staves off the binges
  • lecarter
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Tortillas are the best! I gave up with the brown rice tortillas but these are awesome! They are fun to make "pizzas" on too!
  • urso99
    urso99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't give up bread complelty! Just make some better choices!!

You need the complex carbs and fiber, and a great way to get them is any 100% whole wheat bread, tortilla, pita, bun, roll, and brown rice (not instant)

I don't know if your doing Atkins or South Beach, but on most diets, heck in general nutrition, it has to be the whole grain healthy kinds!!

I have 1 bread/starch serving at every meal, if I didn't I would keep going!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    instead of eating bread, you should try pita bread or tortillas, they are much better then bread and you could make a good wrap with them. good luck!

Not so much, actually. Pita breads and tortillas tend to contain MUCH higher amounts of fat, while being roughly the same otherwise. There are some that have better nutritionals, but that comes down to label checking at the store.

Its a bad idea to give up any food group entirely. Just avoid processed, enriched and bleached breads. Go for stuff that is whole grain - you can get some which are surprisingly high in fiber and protein, with relatively low amounts of fat/cals/sugars.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Salad with veggies, light dressing, chicken strips or deli meat, and some shredded cheese :-D

Also, if you do have some bread: Oroweat makes a really good Double Fiber 100% whole grain bread that only has 70 calories per slice. I usually have 2 pieces of that, 6 pieces of Oscar Meyer oven roasted turkey, lettuce, light mayo, cucumbers, pickles, tomatoes and red wine vinegar. All together it's about 230 calories for the sandwich and since there's so much fiber and protein, I stay full for over 4 hours. It's wonderful :)
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Don't give up bread complelty! Just make some better choices!!

You need the complex carbs and fiber, and a great way to get them is any 100% whole wheat bread, tortilla, pita, bun, roll, and brown rice (not instant)

I don't know if your doing Atkins or South Beach, but on most diets, heck in general nutrition, it has to be the whole grain healthy kinds!!

I have 1 bread/starch serving at every meal, if I didn't I would keep going!!

Where is it written that we need complex carbs and fiber in the form of whole grains?

From the research and my readings, grains are irritating to the digestive tract and in fact are not healthy in no shape or form.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Get some Boston lettuce and use them in place of bread! So delish!

Google South Beach Diet phase 1 wrap recipes. So many ways to make a no-bread sandwich. You won't even miss the bread!
  • urso99
    urso99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's not written, but they sure can be part of a healthy diet.! And that she was craving bread, and we were trying to give her suggestions and offer support.