Raw Food 2013 *RESOLUTION!*

Options
I have experimented with going 100% raw this past summer. It has benefited me in many ways other than the dramatic weightloss of 10 pounds and the gaining of muscle mass in only three weeks. It cleared my acne, reduced my cellulite, and just all in all made me feel better.

Sadly, these are one of those diets you must start overnight; or you will be too tempted to eat bad food.
Also, Once you fall off the wagon (like I did for one night on a vacation) it is hard to get back on.

BUT!

I am trying this again on January 1st 2013. It is my New Years Resolution. I want to be 95% raw (i need my rice with my sushi and my tequila saturdays) and I want this to last for goal 1: Feb 1. Goal 2: March 1; etc While keeping active in crossfit and I am looking into Brazilian Jujitsu as well as a different new years resolution.

Does anyone want to try this challenge with me? It can be life changing. and I am not a yuppie by any stretch of the imagination. I am jumping from a KETO diet to a RAW diet with a transition of eating like crap during this last week of december haha

Googling raw food and weight loss, or raw food and body building will help answer any questions you may have. You will not lose muscle on this diet, I actually went up on weights throughout the three week trial I did before.

So, what do you think? do you have what it takes? let's keep each other posted here.
I'm aiming to lose my last %% of body fat and get to a lower BMI.
Currently: 4'11, 125lbs, GW1: 115 GW2:105
Support is very important on this lifestyle change. Let's help each other as much as we can <3

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It seems like you see a raw diet as a method of avoiding poor eating habits, and if this works for you, great, but I'd like to offer three counter points.
    1) An exclusively raw, or very high raw diet is not the only way of avoiding poor eating habits.
    2) Even some advocates of raw diets have moved away from eating 100% raw diets, and are now advocating 80-90% raw diets. It seems that for many people, a high raw diet is more beneficial than a 100% raw diet.
    3) One does *not* need to start a raw diet overnight. It is entirely possible to migrate to a high raw diet over time. While some people do better with the sort of radical change you describe as necessary, it does not work for all people. Many people find that gradual changes are much easier to sustain.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    A must read imo.

http://rawfoodsos.com/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Are you eating raw meat too? If you aren't, I'd like to know how you lost 10lbs and gained muscle at the same time while on calorie deficit and reduced protein intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Corosa
    Options
    It seems like you see a raw diet as a method of avoiding poor eating habits, and if this works for you, great, but I'd like to offer three counter points.
    1) An exclusively raw, or very high raw diet is not the only way of avoiding poor eating habits.
    2) Even some advocates of raw diets have moved away from eating 100% raw diets, and are now advocating 80-90% raw diets. It seems that for many people, a high raw diet is more beneficial than a 100% raw diet.
    3) One does *not* need to start a raw diet overnight. It is entirely possible to migrate to a high raw diet over time. While some people do better with the sort of radical change you describe as necessary, it does not work for all people. Many people find that gradual changes are much easier to sustain.

While it does help to avoid poor eating habits, I see a raw food diet optimal in opposition to the KETO diet I was on, and the SAD. It just makes more sense to eat fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds. It can also help those who are paleo become better at paleo because there are no hidden ingredients in raw food. Obviously there are other ways to avoid poor eating habits, But I mainly have a mind of the crossfit community. Also, I did post that I wasn't going to be 100% raw. I was at one time and got dramatic results, but I'm not going to deprive myself and consider this more of a lifestyle change. So I did not offer up a 100% raw lifestyle to anyone, of course people can take it as they go and eat primarily raw with few exceptions like I am.
    Also, the reason I have stated to start this diet overnight is because I have experience with it, and I found that starting overnight with a good head is a much easier approach to the diet and will help long term. Some people can quit things and start things cold turkey. I am one of them. Many other people are not- and I understand this. There are still a couple of days until the first of the year to begin experimenting. Everyone can take the time to do some research if they are interested,.

In conclusion, I have started this forum to possibly gain some support from others and support those who wish to follow this with me. It is a personal choice, and not everyone has to agree with this (and I knew not everyone would because at first it seems irrational to follow) but those who are vegan, primal, or vegetarian can keep their same diets while incorporating more raw. They can start it and stop it however they wish-choose to do it- or choose to just ignore the post. I don't understand your negate to something I feel is positive for a new start to a new year.
  • Corosa
    Options
    Are you eating raw meat too? If you aren't, I'd like to know how you lost 10lbs and gained muscle at the same time while on calorie deficit and reduced protein intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I ate a lot of raw fish and there is raw protein powder you can buy. Also, fruits and vegetables, nuts and avocados provide adequate amounts of protein.
    http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/raw-food-diet/raw-nutrition/protein-sources-on-a-vegan-raw-food-diet/

There are other great sources too.
  • kastachowial
    Options
    Im in with you!!:smile: I feel best at mostly unprocessed vegan and gravitate to raw and want to take the leap in 2013 to no processed foods/at least 90% raw. Was thinking of starting January with a large focus on smoothies and juices since I am so busy at the moment!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm! Raw beef. Me like! ***strikes breasts like Tarzan***