weight gain ideas

Options
I joined mfp to put on some weight. Most people say how lucky I am but I don't like my body, think I'm too skinny. Would love to hear some ideas besides eating more, because I eat a ton , on some good ways to do it healthy. I joined golds h gym 2 weeks ago so hopefully I'm on the right track. I have been a runner most of my life so I have the thin build that typically goes with that
I'm currently at 120 lbs wanting to be at least 145 .

Replies

• brtrentgl
    Options
    How tall are you? 120 is really low for a guy, looking at your pic that doesn't look healthy so its good that you are looking to gain. Good luck to you.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, cutting your cardio significantly and increasing strength training is probably going to have to be the route you take. If you keep running (I assume you run regular, often) the way you do, gains are going to be really really hard to come by. Start eating more calorie dense foods, nuts, peanut butter, stuff like that which packs a lot of calories in a little bit of food.

Because face it. You want to weigh more, you will HAVE to eat more.

Squats and dead lifts are good all over body exercise that should help build muscle in numerous places. Go for compound lifts. isolation exercises are not going to give you gains nearly as fast.
  • mgloreth
    Options
    How tall are you? 120 is really low for a guy, looking at your pic that doesn't look healthy so its good that you are looking to gain. Good luck to you.
    I'm 5'9" , I have a niece that's 12 and weighs a little more. Its a little embarrassing sometimes being skinny lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Lift weights in the 8-12 rep range for 3-4 sets for everybody part. From you maintenance level, eat 500-750 calorie over of nutrient dense food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    lots of protein.
  • mgloreth
    Options
    lots of protein.
    lol I actually eat a lot
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    A solid lifting routine and a caloric surplus are the keys to mass gain.

Here's a good beginner's lifting routine:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Here's an article by a highly respected nutrition/training expert about eating for mass gain:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html

(poke around bodyrecomposition.com - there are a lot of great articles about training and diet there.)
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I'll send you some of my black cherry cheesecake :)

Calorie dense foods like nuts..avocado...full fat dairy product...cheese...a bit of good quality icecream...
  • mgloreth
    Options
    I'll send you some of my black cherry cheesecake :)

Calorie dense foods like nuts..avocado...full fat dairy product...cheese...a bit of good quality icecream...
    lol, sounds good
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp to put on some weight. Most people say how lucky I am but I don't like my body, think I'm too skinny. Would love to hear some ideas besides eating more, because I eat a ton , on some good ways to do it healthy. I joined golds h gym 2 weeks ago so hopefully I'm on the right track. I have been a runner most of my life so I have the thin build that typically goes with that
    I'm currently at 120 lbs wanting to be at least 145 .

There aren't any ways other than consuming a calorie surplus! Most times when I have had very slim male clients who report being hard gainers they are only eating two to three times a day and often have an active job - it's extremely difficult to cram 3000+ calories into just two or three meals. Many serious bodybuilders wake up in the night to supply their muscles with constant fuel - extreme but effective.

Six meals of at least 500 calories is much more palatable than three of at least 1000 calories, if you can't eat that many meals have snacks of calorie dense but nutritious foods including nuts, seeds, dried fruit, full fat hard cheese, oatcakes, granola, block creamed coconut or cocoa powder. Homemade sweet (seeds and fruit) or savoury flapjacks (nuts and cheese) are a practical option, there are recipes online which include protein powder if you wish. Fats are nine calories a gram to protein and carbohydrates four calories, so be sure you are eating healthy high fat wholefoods at every meal (very oily fish like mackerel, nuts, seeds, cocoa, coconut, olives, avocado). These foods supply you with fibre, minerals, vitamins, and essential fatty acids like omega-3s not just calories.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 5'10" and 121...always been skinny. He doesn't really care to put on weight and has some stomach issues, but he has researched what he would have to do.

He found that he would have to eat so much - as in past the point of uncomfortable - and lift heavy weights consistently. Dead lifts, squats, etc. Also, eating uncomfortably much, in case I didn't mention that part.

Good luck to you! It can be hard to put on weight when your body has a place it likes to stay!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Lift weights in the 8-12 rep range for 3-4 sets for everybody part. From you maintenance level, eat 500-750 calorie over of nutrient dense food.
    ^^^^^
    THIS
    And be VERY patient....
  • mgloreth
    Options
    My boyfriend is 5'10" and 121...always been skinny. He doesn't really care to put on weight and has some stomach issues, but he has researched what he would have to do.

He found that he would have to eat so much - as in past the point of uncomfortable - and lift heavy weights consistently. Dead lifts, squats, etc. Also, eating uncomfortably much, in case I didn't mention that part.

Good luck to you! It can be hard to put on weight when your body has a place it likes to stay!
    that sounds exactly like me