Low/no carb diet

2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    To those 'experts' out there who love to think they know everything. She has been put on this diet by an actual doctor because her body does not process carbs properly and it ends up as sugar in her bloodstream... this is the simplistic version I got told. I have no idea what the real terms for this are but if you would like to take this up with a medical professional feel free.

I will send her user name to those who want it :) Thankyou

Nice attitude....maybe that information would have been pertinent in the first place.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    To those 'experts' out there who love to think they know everything. She has been put on this diet by an actual doctor because her body does not process carbs properly and it ends up as sugar in her bloodstream... this is the simplistic version I got told. I have no idea what the real terms for this are but if you would like to take this up with a medical professional feel free.

Nice attitude....maybe that information would have been pertinent in the first place.

The OP didn't ask for opinions, so no.

I follow Atkins, which is low carb, am on later rungs and keep carbs about 15 - 20% as of now. She's welcome to add me if she likes.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member

sounds legit
  • I wouldn't recommend it... your body needs carbohydrates
    You're about to flamed to all hell.

I agree with your statement 100%. Carbs are vital for overall performance and most importantly your mental health.

And I agree with them.
    1. Your body needs carbs to run properly
    2. The minute she eats a piece of bread she'll gain that weight right back (obviously not that drastic but I think you understand what I'm saying)
  • nts.
  • I wouldn't recommend it... your body needs carbohydrates

I agree with your statement 100%. Carbs are vital for overall performance and most importantly your mental health.

And I agree with them.
    1. Your body needs carbs to run properly
    2. The minute she eats a piece of bread she'll gain that weight right back (obviously not that drastic but I think you understand what I'm saying)

OPPS should've read previous posts I apologize OP.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I wouldn't recommend it... your body needs carbohydrates

Off topic but...this..just made my night. "You're about to be flamed to all hell."
    > EPIC.

And best of luck OP :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Who told her she needs to go on a low/no carb diet and what was the reason?

I'm assuming its due to type 2 diabetes. That is why my father was told to watch his daily carbs.

I am a type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) and immediately started working with an endo doctor who put me in touch with a nutritionist which never once told me anything to do about low carb/ no carb diets. She set my carb intake at 240 grams a day and I lost a few pounds over the last few years and am currently consuming over 300 grams of carbs daily and my A1c's have been averaging 5.3 for the past 18 months... Not all diabetics have a problem with carbs, exercising, eating healthier goes a very long way...
    Oh Snap!
  • Tell her to add me. I do around 100gms of carbs a day of fruit and verges and not only have lost body fat but I also no longer have migraines, mood swings, I'm less irritable, my mental health is excellent and I'm a darn sight more energetic. (I run half marathons once a week no sweat). I guess you could say I've turned into an athlete.

Yeah so ignore those who are really negative about low carb, it is completely achievable and you can feel fantastic on it and be completely satisfied.
  • To those 'experts' out there who love to think they know everything. She has been put on this diet by an actual doctor because her body does not process carbs properly and it ends up as sugar in her bloodstream... this is the simplistic version I got told. I have no idea what the real terms for this are but if you would like to take this up with a medical professional feel free.

Her medical history is really none of your business. I don't ask for wether she should be on the diet. She has been told to be on the diet an I was simply asking for people who had a similar experience.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Her medical history is really none of your business. I don't ask for wether she should be on the diet. She has been told to be on the diet an I was simply asking for people who had a similar experience.

Calm down. I did not say it was - but saying it was recommended by a doctor may have stopped the questions.

Giving a vague ...'she needs low/no carb' will not necessarily narrow down people with similar experiences as people do low carb (there is really no such thing as no carb btw) for a variety of reasons. I really do not care either way ..but whatever....have a nice day.

Edited for a typo
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 406 Member
    I"m not on a particularly low carb diet though am working on the low glycemic diet. I'd be happy to friend your mom for general support, if you'd give her my name (I'm 58) and/or send me hers.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Carb Sensitivity/Intolerance. It's particularly common in certain ethnic groups like Native Americans (Who also are genetically predisposed to Type 2 Diabetes, high blood sugar, high blood pressure & the "bad" type of belly fat). Many people don't realize they have it until they cut out bread/other grains for a few days & realize they feel more energetic.

http://www.holisticvisionary.com/Documents/What is Carbohydrate Intolerance and Do I Have It article.pdf

[Edit] Now why is the link getting cut off? Ugh... Well anyway google "carb sensitivity symptoms" and it's the first PDF.