runners calves

Options
I've been running most of my life and I have the smallest calves on a human lol. Most runners I have seen and ran with have big muscled calves because that's the muscles you use when running. My calves look very underdeveloped and curious if there are any runners with the same issue

Replies

• brtrentgl
    Options
    I've been running most of my life and I have the smallest calves on a human lol. Most runners I have seen and ran with have big muscled calves because that's the muscles you use when running. My calves look very underdeveloped and curious if there are any runners with the same issue
    I have huge calves and have never ran or weight lifted . Genetics play a big role I guess.
  • mgloreth
    Options
    its funny how that works
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Your calves are 90% genetic in my opinion. You can work them a bit but since you already use them daily just to move around they're not as underdeveloped as say your biceps. You could try lifting but I don't think you'd see that much gain there, but certainly in other places. Assuming that that's what you wanted.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Yep, genetics definitely have a lot to do with it. Not to say you can't make significant improvements, but if you're not genetically inclined to have huge calves, you're not going to have huge calves.
  • cnash1303
    Options
    You could try lifting but I don't think you'd see that much gain there, but certainly in other places.

I have to disagree, yes genetics play a factor, but if you lift and stay on a lifting diet (weight gaining), you will gain muscle...everywhere. That said, your form has a lot to do with what muscles you work out while running, you may want to look into getting a pair of Newton's running shoes...they change your form a lot and usually make you work out your calves more (i just got a pair for christmas :happy: )
  • mgloreth
    Options
    You could try lifting but I don't think you'd see that much gain there, but certainly in other places.

I have to disagree, yes genetics play a factor, but if you lift and stay on a lifting diet (weight gaining), you will gain muscle...everywhere. That said, your form has a lot to do with what muscles you work out while running, you may want to look into getting a pair of Newton's running shoes...they change your form a lot and usually make you work out your calves more (i just got a pair for christmas :happy: )
    thanks