is skinny unhealthy

Options
I get told by numerous people that I'm not at a healthy weight. I feel healthy but what are the health risks for being under weight, later in life are their more risks? I did join here go gain weight, I think more for vanity purposes

Replies

• Full4Life
    Full4Life Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I get told by numerous people that I'm not at a healthy weight. I feel healthy but what are the health risks for being under weight, later in life are their more risks? I did join here go gain weight, I think more for vanity purposes
    If you're seriously concerned, only a doctor who personally checks YOU up will know that for certain. A lot of the stuff I've read has said that if the choice is between underweight or overweight (i.e. "on-weight" is not an option) *slightly* overweight is healthier in terms of immunity to common illnesses (think cold and flu, etc). But I think really what you're going for is good energy, good sleep and a healthy relationship to food. But I'm a lady and a lot of what I've read pertains to females, who - as you know - produce fat about three times faster than guys... so... Better talk to the boys about this one.
  • Taem2
    Taem2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The world cancer research fund and the american institue for cancer research recommends that you be in your lower bmi to stave off most cancers.

http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/expert_report/recommendations/index.php

So, you're doing great.
  • cnash1303
    Options
    I would say the best way to tell is to go to a doctor, with that out of the way...if you are TOO skinny, you will know (you won't feel good/be sick/feel lazy/sleepy). The problem is that we live in a society (America that is) where being skinny isn't exactly the norm. People accept obesity and if you are skinny, they may think it is weird or unhealthy.
  • Today414
    Today414 Posts: 118
    Options
    I would say the best way to tell is to go to a doctor, with that out of the way...if you are TOO skinny, you will know (you won't feel good/be sick/feel lazy/sleepy). The problem is that we live in a society (America that is) where being skinny isn't exactly the norm. People accept obesity and if you are skinny, they may think it is weird or unhealthy.

Huh? Pretty sure most ppl in America think thin is the norm and while close to half are obese' the still think they should be thin....

Either way, op, I agree with most. Listen to your doc.
  • mgloreth
    Options
    very true
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would be unhealthy unless you are too skinny. In your pic you look pretty thin. What are some of your measurements? Arms, legs, hips, waist for example.
  • mgloreth
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would be unhealthy unless you are too skinny. In your pic you look pretty thin. What are some of your measurements? Arms, legs, hips, waist for example.
    9.75" flexed arm, upper legs are 17.5", hips 32", waist 26", calves 11, chest 30"
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    9.75" flexed arm, upper legs are 17.5", hips 32", waist 26", calves 11, chest 30"
    omg that is thin, I would definitely get seen by a physician. My thigh is bigger than your waist
  • mgloreth
    Options
    omg that is thin, I would definitely get seen by a physician. My thigh is bigger than your waist
    its tough finding jeans in my size
  • brtrentgl
    Options
    its tough finding jeans in my size
    I feel sorry for you
  • rhodesbr
    Options
    I'm thin and the dr says I'm very healthy
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    how tall are you? just curious. my best friend is one of thinnest people I know but he is mostly muscle. another friend is very thin as well. I don't think either are unhealthy when looking at their weight but one works out and watches his diet and the other doesn't. so... it depends :)