What is the "norm" timeframe for weight loss?

Options
Hey Everyone,

I've been on this gym/nutrition kick for about a week now. Bummed today because I was sick in bed and could not work out. I want to drop 80 pounds to reach my "goal" weight.

My question is, how much time to those my age to drop 80 # eating all

Merry Christmas Everyone

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    There is no norm as there is no normal body! Its taken me almost 10 months to lose 53lb.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I am 61 and it has taken me 5 months to loose 32 lbs. It has seemed like a very quick 5 months and of course as every month goes by you look and feel much better.

Good luck, just keep at it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think the general consensus is that the more weight you have to lose the faster you can get it off to start with and the greater calorie deficit you can have. As you get closer to your goal you'll normally need to "taper" you calorie deficit closer to your maintenance value (and use some sort of resistance based training) in order to retain important things like muscle and bone density.

From what I've read, if you lose too much too fast then you'll end up with a skin problem. I think that dialling weight loss to something sensible like a couple of pounds a week and using resistance training all the way will leave you with a body that you'll be happier with - although the caveat is that it'll take longer to get the pounds off. But, at the end of the day, weight is just a number that only you see when you step on the scale. How you look and feel when you get where you're going is what you, and others, will ultimately see.....