Fitbit over estimating your calorie deficit?

Options
Hi there! I hope this is the right place to post this.

Today I took about 12,000 steps according to my fitbit. This gave me a 600 calorie deficit and of course MFP wants me to eat it back because it pretty much netted me under 1000 calories. But my issue is I really don't feel like I 'worked hard enough' to eat back 600 calories! On average I walk anywhere between 5000-8000 steps. And when I walk 12,000 steps I don't feel more hungry or really that tired. They were not running or working out steps, it was all mall walking (i went for the deals today ;) ) which is slow...

Anyone else feel like fitbit does this to them?? I eat a little bit of it back but not the whole 600.

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Ya something is off. It's 2am and I haven't even put the fitbit on and I already have a -477 adjustment...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to eat back all the fitbit calories. Eat back 1/2 or so if you think you didn't work hard enough for the 600.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ya something is off. It's 2am and I haven't even put the fitbit on and I already have a -477 adjustment...

Well i have learned what that is; it's taking an estimate of your day and it's basically telling you you haven't moved enough, so to lose weight you should pretty much pretend you already ate 477 cals. If you start running or something, that number will probably go down. You can turn off that setting too so it won't show negative cals here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I like that setting though because if I really do nothing all day I can adjust to it and eat less, lose more lol.
  • maddiey
    maddiey Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to eat back all the fitbit calories. Eat back 1/2 or so if you think you didn't work hard enough for the 600.

I think that might be a good rule of thumb. I would eat them back if I were weight lifting or broke a sweat... lol!
  • jmc0806
    Options
    No, mine is actually giving me an extra 477 calories to eat as if I burned it. I turned off that negative adjustment
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with mine, I did almost 12,000 steps and got an extra 400.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    No, mine is actually giving me an extra 477 calories to eat as if I burned it. I turned off that negative adjustment

Its going by what your body is burning by BEING ALIVE! Your BMR.....It does not only count your calories burned from walking,but your TOTAL calories used during the day.
  • jmc0806
    Options

Its going by what your body is burning by BEING ALIVE! Your BMR.....It does not only count your calories burned from walking,but your TOTAL calories used during the day.

Not at 2am lol it was estimating that I would burn 4500 calories in the day