I need a good wine, any recommendations?

Options
I'm not much of a drinker, but you know, everyone once in a while after a stressful day, a glass of wine sounds like the perfect way to end a day. So any recommendations? Sweet wines, mind you, I've only just started looking into wines. Anything would be helpful, thanks!

Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    White zinfandel and white grenache are nice rosé wines to start with.

Yellow Tail does a nice white Moscato, which is really easy to drink and only 7.5%, it is sweet and a little carbonated.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Im not much of a win drinker (i like mixed drinks or plan vodka, etc). I LOVE LOVE LOVE Reisling. I could drink it every day.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    anything in a box.

:bigsmile:

just kidding of course. i'm not a wine drinker myself, but there are zillions of websites out there devoted to wine, wine reviews, wine recommendations, etc. here's one you could try: http://www.decanter.com/wine/finder/
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    If you're in search of a sweet wine stick with moscato. It's a dessert wine. There are variations in whether it's white, pink or red. Also whether it's asti ( bubbles think champagne ) or regular. Barefoot is actually a super inexpensive, good brand to start with for this.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Although I am definitely not a know it all when it comes to wine, I love a good red wine!

I have tried about every red wine you can pick up at the local Wal-Mart and in my opinion Belle Bole is about the best one there.... Of course my father, who is a little bit more educated in wine, says it's just a Fanta with some alcohol in it, but whatever.

If you are going to Olive Garden, anything in their name brand is amazing! At this moment I can't remember what that name is....

Edited to add: Someone mentioned for me to try the Barefoot as well... I have tried three of their wines. The sweet red was so-so but, not something I would ever buy again. They have another red that I can't recall the name of right now and it was also something I wouldn't purchase again. Now I got crazy after those two and tried their Merlot... Yeah the only thing that drank that was my sink.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Moscato D'asti....yum
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Moscato or Late Harvest Riesling. Both sweet white wines.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you prefer sweet wines, I'd suggest Moscato, Moscato D'Asti, or Rosa Regale (Banfi "brand"). If you'd like to branch out and might like something a little less sweet, you could try a Riesling.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    if you like sweet wines then try a Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. they are really sweet, a good beginner wine.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Well if you are having wine with food I'll let you in on a poorly kept secret. Way way back in the day it wasn't a particularly good idea to drink the water, so people drank wine.

Now as you are eating your food, if the grapes you grew to make your wine didn't make a wine that tasted good, you'd grow something else and eventually have a good wine for what you ate.

So always go with a wine from the country of your food.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on wine, in fact the overwhelming majority of the wine we buy is less 10-20 dollars a bottle, sometimes even less.

If you are looking for wine to drink without food, California wines and Australian wines are often the way to go. I think I see people recommending Moscattos and Reislings which are super drinkable "Barefoot" wines makes an excellent one of each.

For reds, again just to chill and drink, you can't go wrong with A Shiraz (generally austrailian) or perhaps a Merlot.

My absolute favorite red is

marques-de-cacerees-crianza-rioja-large.jpg

It is good with beef, tomatoes, and most spanish food. Under 20 dollars a bottle, sometimes can be found for under 15.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My co-worker knows all about whine. She is an expert.
  • iamdimenazhena
    Options
    Oliver - Soft Red Wine. :) Yummy.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    BUMP - for shopping list items. :)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Moscato is a dessert wine. Very sweet.

I like a petit sirah wines, just because they have a little bit more berry flavor. It's a much lighter flavor.

I'm not a big fan the strong oak flavors you find in merlots.

And this is just about everything I know about wine. I got a case of Yellow Tail Shiraz. It's not bad for $8 a bottle. For some reason, it just flies off the shelf. Wine snobs will probably hate it. Newbs like me think it's just fine.

Menage a Trois is also a popular wine right now but I think it's about $10-12 a bottle.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like the Barefoot moscato as well. Also Gallo Family moscato, along the same price as Barefoot. If your area is anything like around where I am, there might be some local vineyard type places that would let you taste some before purchasing.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Im guessing you want something good enough to sip...........but also not too expensive to gulp don either. I recommend this Malbec from Argentina. AND you can get it at Targter for $16.00. it is very good! Its one of the best reds Ive tasted in the last couple of months. and DONT chill your reds.............. for realz!!!:bigsmile:

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/layer-cake-malbec.do
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to suggest a wine to someone who is not old enough to legally drink. Get back with me when you're 21. :smile:
  • justal313
    Options
    I hesitate to suggest a wine to someone who is not old enough to legally drink. Get back with me when you're 21. :smile:

Oh I missed she was under 21, in that case I recommend the following wines available to any enterprising underaged drinker with more Dollars than sense.

2896_320.jpg

maddog.jpg
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    if you like sweet wines then try a Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling. they are really sweet, a good beginner wine.

seconded

also, if you want something slightly sweet but not TOO sweet, Ecco Domani Pino Griggio is an affordable white with a slightly crisp sweet apple taste
  • justal313
    Options

My Wife's absolute favorite. Hands down. I'm always up for a glass when she opens a bottle.