No late night "junk"snacking - Feb 22-Mar 1

Options
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81669-no-late-night-junk-snacking-feb-15-21?page=2#posts-1137146

Many times, we may have a great day as far as eating healthy, getting in our exercise, right up through dinner. But then the after-dinner munchies start to happen. We sit in front of the TV or we get a snack for our kids and we realize that we are eating potato chips, ice cream, chocolate bar, when in reality we didn't even really want it.

That is what this thread is about. For some of us, we make a cut off time that may vary from day to day and decide not to eat anything past that time at all (usually about 2 hours before bed). For other, we may make a resolve to simply not put anything processed in our mouths past that given time and keep everything natural.

Whichever way you do it, please come join us and encourage us and be motivated to keep your day healthy even past dinnertime.

WELCOME ANY NEWBIES, welcome back us oldie but goodies.

Replies

• VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I too have a real problem with this - I work evening shift and get home about midnight. No matter how much I have eaten at work I just HAVE to shove something in my mouth when I walk through my front door! This is only my 3rd day on here and I can already see that this habit is putting me over my goal calories each day. Anyone have any "tricks" besides "just say no"? I'm not real good at willpower alone!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I found for me that a strong peppermint tea helps. And this isn't necessarily about not eating late, if your calories allow for it. But maybe having some vegetables or fruit instead of something heavy or starchy. It takes a while to get in the groove of things, and obviously we all have setbacks, but eventually you can get into the swing of things. WELCOME.

We usually post each day telling of our successes or "not quite getting there" moments and encourage each other. Join us and help us out and we will help you.
  • highgear
    Options
    I use to have that problem, but since I shifted to a 5 meal a day plan, eating small ammounts (200-400 calories) every 3ish hours I don't have cravings. In fact I'm almost to the point of feeling like "Do I have to eat again?

You could also try eating 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese as your snack before bed. The casein protein is very slowly digested and will satisfy your hunger for hours. I also drink TONS of water. Well not tons, but you get my meaning. I think the water intake certainly helps in fighting off cravings. (I don't know the science behind it, but it works for me.)

Cheers!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I am starting anew - 26 days in a row (ups and downs) isn't such a bad score, right? :wink:
    I'm aiming for 8:30 again. Exceptions are when independently of my will I get home later and I have calories left that I may eat, however not later than 2 hrs before I'm going to bed. :smile:
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    It's a new week, and tonight I did not get home until just after 8. I think I will change my time to 8, but still strive for 730. Is it a real slip up when you don't get home at the expected time?
  • dewdrop
    Options
    I don't think so, teetee. It's not like we're doing it on purpose :smile:.

The whole idea of this challenge was to have dinner and not put anything into our mouths once we got off the table. The cut-offs are meant to prevent us from having dinner too late. The only way I can see it being a problem, is if you eat out and then come home late and still run to the fridge. Other than that, it should be fine :flowerforyou:.
  • ksnowras
    ksnowras Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is by far my worst time of the day. I can plan and bring what I need to eat at work and even eat ok at dinner. It's the 8-11 time period that kills me. I don't get home until 6:30 and we usually don't eat dinner until between 7-7:30. I should be fine, but the "salt/sugar exchange" comes on about 9ish. I like the idea of only natural items after a certain time. I think I'm going to shoot for that after 8:30 and see how it goes this week. Thanks for the ideas!!
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Day 1 compleeted. :smile:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    I'm with you Dewdrop. One under my belt. Going to eat dinner before going to the gym, but leaving room for a fruit when I get home around 9.

Have a great day everyone!
  • teetee1281
    Options
    Oh, goodie, Dew Drop, then I am 6 in a row right now. Tonight, I plan to cook the dinner that I wanted to last night. I will have to eat dinner by 630pm because I have to go to the airport to pick up a new arrival. Hopefully, it will be a quick in and out from the airport so I can go home and then go right to bed. I will post later to tell you about my evening.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Haven't been able to get near my computer (husband and son took precedence, and will again today so I have to be quick).
    I am continuing this weekly (and monthly on another thread) challenge since it is a HUGE help.
    So far, I have gone 7 days in a row without any calories after my cut-off time. Tonight will be my Day 8. Being accountable to this group makes all the difference.
    Zaza
  • teetee1281
    Options
    7 nights of success! Though, tonight was my first night that I ever went over my calories (including what I worked out) so after my dinner I went and worked out for a quick 30 mins, so I wouldn't end my night in the whole. I did not like those big red numbers on my home screen. :grumble:

Have a good evening everyone, I have to get to bed so I can go to the airport in the morning, since the flight was delayed. Luckily I stayed at work late to get the email or otherwise I would have been at the airport looking lost. :embarassed:
  • rosemary10
    Options
    This is the first day for me I'm just drinking water at the moment. I quit eating about 4am, left work at 7:30am, went to the gym then home to bed. Only slept 5 hrs since I'm off tomorrow and have to sleep tonight. When I got up and weighed myself I was down 2lbs from last week.
    I'm so excited! How is that possible?
    Twice today not eating 2hrs before bed. I thinks it counts as one day though.
    You guys have been a great help.
    I did the tea thing and that was yummy. Couldn't find peppermint lulabelle so had cranberry.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    Second night down. Had grapes after the gym, but had it planned out. Tonight 7:30 cutoff.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Everyone's doing so well! :flowerforyou:
    Zaza, good to have you back - now you're trapped here with us :wink: .
    Teetee, well done! Being reasonable keeps a good balance and I think that helps one going. Too many fake failures (due to strictness) can be discouraging.
    Lulabelle, yeah! There's no way back, right? :wink:
    Rosemary, welcome to the team. :flowerforyou: Keep up the very good work.
    Me, well done last night, girl :bigsmile: - I had no more food past 7 and finished the drink also by 8 :smile:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks dewdrop - happy to be here. I made it thru another night! This group is making all the difference. Don't want to confess in the morning.
    Zaza
  • rosemary10
    Options
    This is day 2 for me. Sitting here with the cranberry/apple tea and 44 cal under. Gonna watch a bit of tv and knit, then hit the hay. Life is good. You guys are greatly encouraging. Blessings to all.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    3 nights down. Didn't overeat yesterday but seriously wanted to and couldn't figure out why. Just went off birth control pills as they make me loopy and boy has my body gone into some kind of funky state. But stuck to 7:30.

Tonight, out with my sister-in-law and daughter. Hoping to convince them to eat before getting nails done so I can get done by 7:30. Also depends on if hubby gets home by 6 to watch our niece.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    3 nights down.
    lulabelle, enjoy tnight. Even if, independent of your will, dinner takes a bit longer, just make healthy choices and have no more food after your dinner together. Then you're good :).
  • lulabellewoowoo
    Options
    AngelSmiley.gif
    Dewdrop, you are the little angel on my shoulder, whispering thoughts of reason. THANKS :)