Plauteau

Options
My weight loss was going really well. I lost alot of weight in the first month. Now I seem to be stalled. I'm about 6 pounds from my goal weight. I have been reading these posts and keep seeing that you should increase your calories when the weight loss stops. I was on the minimum 1200 cals and just stopped losing.
I decided to readjust my goals to lose 1/2 a pound a week (instead of a pound a week) and ate accordingly yesterday. I had about 100 cals more than I've been eating. My weight was actually lower this morning than it's been in several days. I don't know if this is the answer but I don't want to be stuck not losing at all.
Did I do the right thing? Does anyone else have any ideas for breaking through that plateau?

Replies

• acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I wouldn't cut your calories too low, if you do the body goes into defense mode and tries to hold onto the weight. I actually lose more if I increase the workouts rather than decreasing the cals too much. For example, if I can have 1250 cals/day without any activity (which personally isn't enough food for me), but then workout and burn 300-600 cals, I can have 1500-1800 cals/day (much easier to do personally) and still lose the pound a week... so you might want to try that? :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yeah I was following MFP's recommendation of 1200 cals on days I didn't exercise and about 1350 when I did. I exercised about 4 times a week. My body got too comfortable with that and I just stopped losing all of a sudden. I'm hoping that the higher amount of cals and increasing the exercise will help me start losing again.
  • taylorfriedchicken
    Options
    I have actually read somewhere on here that you should increase your calorie intake to get out of a plateau. The last 3 days I did just that (by about 200 calories; I used to eat about 900 but now I eat 1200, the recommended amount on MFP). And guess what? i just broke through my plateau and lost 2.6 pounds (not in 3 days, from monday to monday). However, eating more calories means working your butt harder in the gym and I now make sure that my cardio is anywhere from 30-60 minutes every other day (when I work out).

Also, I don't know if you watch the biggest loser but I have been doing my own version of the "last chance workout."

I know it sounds crazy and I didn't believe it at first but I am proof that getting out of your plateau, you need to eat more.
    Eat more, lose weight. weird.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    I just got back from my Doctor's office. I'd lost 11 pounds from the time I was there about 5 weeks ago. She told me that the 1200 cals a day seemed a little low. I told her I increased it by 100 cals because I stopped losing. Hopefully this will get it started again.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    1200 is probably too low if you're that close to your goal.

I recently plateaued for 3 weeks. I started eating more after the 2nd week of not losing and I'm losing again.
    If you were immediately lighter the day after you started eating more, I would chalk that up to normal daily fluctuation -- it takes a lot longer than that for our bodies to register a change. Regardless, I think you did the right thing! You certainly can't eat LESS. :wink: Being that close to your goal weight, I would definitely think eating *more* (probably even more than 1300 calories) and expecting the weight loss to slow way down is the right thing to do. I personally would change my goals on MFP to lose 1/2 pound a week.
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    Yeah that's what I did. I actually think I look pretty good now so I can be patient. I just hope I can get the rest of it off by June 1st.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Well i am way off my goal, and after loosing 17lbs so far, i have totally stopped loosing, in fact i'm gaining and loosing the same 3lbs and have been for the past 3 weeks. I'll be interested to see what everyone has to say, but i think it pretty much boils down to the same thing, eat more calories. The problem i have is that i struggle as it is to eat the 1200 cals that MFP has assigned, so i couldnt even think about eating anymore. Right now i've had my dinner and a weightwatchers yogurt for desert around 4hrs ago and i'm stuffed. I've been drinking water all eve so that maybe why, but i am down on my calories by around 500, some of which i gained from exercise today, and I can't even fathom eating anymore.... so what do I do with regards to eating more?
  • kwardklinck
    Options
    Balance your cals throughout the day. I'm struggling with this as well because I'm just not all that hungry sometimes. I never thought I'd say that. It helps me to plan my day the night before. I can make changes as needed but it keeps me eating about the same number of cals at every meal. Peanut butter has a lot of cals, maybe you could put some on toast at breakfast or lunch. Adding fruit and milk is good too. You don't want empty cals. Need to find some that actually provide some nutrition for you.
  • heidilawrence
    Options
    I just joined because I have been stalled for a few months... granted I DID go a little over board over christmas. I was told to eat around 1800 calories by a trainer at my gym. I can't even fathom this because it freaks me out. More of a mental thing. But after seeing what all of you lovely ladies have said I may just try it! I was following that rule for a few weeks and actually gained five pounds. I am back down to my original platueu weight. I have lost close to 40 pounds but now I am just needing a little rejuvination!