Fractured foot

Options
I fractured my foot and I am not allowed to do any exercise for 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions on keeping the weight gain to a minimum?

Replies

• jsjaclark
    Options
    You could still do sit ups/crunches as well as work out your arms with weights. I am assuming that you just can put weight on your foot, but you could do any leg exercises (side lifts, etc) while lying down.
  • jellybeanjo
    jellybeanjo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 4 months out from a fractured pelvis and this is what I learned: You will burn some extra calories needed for the healing process, so if you keep your calories to your base level you will do OK. You may even need to eat a bit more to give your body the nutrients you need so don't be surprised if your hungry. However, the weight gain comes, in large part, from the decline in muscle mass and so don't beat yourself up about it. .

Get off the anti inflammatory meds if you can and switch to tylenol. Some say that they hinder healing. Do isometric exercises and upper body exercises, especially your chest and back. . If your hauling your body around on crutches that can be pretty tiring, too..Importantly, give yourself a "break" (pun intended) and let healing be your priority and when you can get back to your exercise, build slowly so that you don't end up with a chronic injury.. Take care....
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    swimming! Great workout and minimal stress on your foot. Or get a stability ball and work your core.
  • Gerbermom
    Options
    Thanks for the advice