I'd appreciate opinions

Organic foods. Would eating them assist in my losing weight process. Also would becoming a vegetarian. I have been considering it for a long time and just want to know everyone's opinion.

Replies

• celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Yes and no. Reducing your meat can help with weight loss, but if you haven't yet learned how to control your eating habits now, vegetarianism won't help. Make sure you have a very clean eating style now. There are a ton of very fat vegetarians that wonder why they aren't at their goal weight because they cut meat.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    The bottom line is calories out > calories in, regardless if you're vegetarian, vegan, paleo, low-carb, organic or whatever.

Vegetarian/vegan doesn't automatically equal weight loss. Read this thread for some experiences:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/827736-went-vegan-gained-weight
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    I question whether there even organic. My parents grow fruits and vegetables and do not use anything, no pesticides, nothing and theres looks crappy. But the ones in stores are perfect color and shape, how?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Calories. Organic foods don't have noticeably different calorie contect from their pesticide and growth hormone ridden counterparts. There are plenty of fat vegetarians also.

For weight loss you just need to consume less calories than you use.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    I question whether there even organic. My parents grow fruits and vegetables and do not use anything, no pesticides, nothing and theres looks crappy. But the ones in stores are perfect color and shape, how?

Your parents are doing it wrong. Whenever I have had a garden I have used organic practices and products and my stuff always comes out looking and tasting beautiful.
  • freedski1
    freedski1 Posts: 65 Member
    No to both. While going organic may make you more mindful of what you're buying/eating, it won't necessarily give you an edge in losing weight.
    Vegetarianism, same thing. It may actually be counteractive to your weight loss efforts; lots of people rely on lean meats and fish for protein during weight loss, as both are slimming. If you switch that protein source over to soy/gardein/tempeh, you're creating a dependence on more processed foods that are higher in carbs to get that same protein punch. Anecdotally, I was heavier as a vegetarian. That being said, if you're already a veg/vegan, you certainly wouldn't need to start eating meat in order to lose.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I've thought about going vegetarian before. What always stops me is I'm not yet well enough educated or disciplined enough to make sure I keep my nutrients in order. That's very important - I've had friends go the "just gonna eat salads and Bocca burgers" and give themselves massive nutritional deficiencies and wind up sick. But there are ways to do it.

I don't know if I'd do it for weight loss specifically. Seems a drastic restricting behavior. Plus, if you really love meat, you might eventually just get frustrated and fall into unhealthy eating habits out of resentment.
  • I've thought about going vegetarian before. What always stops me is I'm not yet well enough educated or disciplined enough to make sure I keep my nutrients in order. That's very important - I've had friends go the "just gonna eat salads and Bocca burgers" and give themselves massive nutritional deficiencies and wind up sick. But there are ways to do it.

I don't know if I'd do it for weight loss specifically. Seems a drastic restricting behavior. Plus, if you really love meat, you might eventually just get frustrated and fall into unhealthy eating habits out of resentment.

I would do it for animals not weight loss. it really bothers me.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    I personally think organic foods can assist with weight loss....more so....the less pesticides etc we have on our foods etc the less they will muck up our hormones...yes it is maths of calories in vs calories out but i think if our hormones etc arent balanced out it is just making it harder on our bodies.
  • I don't agree with the organic vegetables always look perfect. Some of the most delicious apples I have ever eaten are organic and absolutely hideous. We joke about it, but they are really awful looking.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    No to Organic
    Some people think that if you eat 50 organic grapes vs' 50 regular store grapes theres some magical difference and the weight will fall off. No. :noway: Organic is simply for those individuals who are more or less what we use to call "foodies" (finicky eaters who are almost as bad as vegeterians (with envolvement on how the food gets to the table and how YOU can control the process) but they still eat meat. Truly - "organic" is difficult because you can NOT be 100% sure its naturally grown with out pesticides and contaminations or GMOs because you dont know your grower, you dont know where the seeds are bought or what fertilizer or type of neighbors or any previous soil contamination....thus, saying your pretty much trusting your local marketing teams to NOT sell you a placebo with no way of really knowing the difference. :glasses: Food is food and both are recalled equally as frequent so just make balanced food choices and exercise.

No to Vegeterian/Vegan/Lacto-Ovo etc....
    This is the error. Most people think that a "meatless" food opt is just for diet. No. :noway: every recipe book, website, book and other guidebooks are not just for diet, they WILL encourage you (strongly) to become an activist for the cause. This activism turns into a religion and separation from general pop. Its a lifestyle shift that can be harmful physically and psychologically.

As for the weight loss, so NOT true. ( there was a previous thread on here about a vegetarian struggling to lose weight). If you dont have meat what do you lean on more...
    a)Subs-Faux meats and Faux cheeses and Faux desserts which have REAL calories (some -more than the real thing):ohwell:
    b) Carbs- sugar-fat
    b) Nuts/seeds- can do a dance on your intestines if you over do it

There is no short cut. :indifferent: Do it the right way. Good Food and Good Exercise.:flowerforyou: You can do it, stay on track:smile:

~if you google weightloss inspirational quotes they have some nice motivation too~or whatever search engine~get inspired-Dont take the short cuts----they lead you on a longer journey having to back track what you tried to skip over.