First 5K...Training Tips?

Options
Hi everyone

My city has open registration for one of it's popular 5K races. The race is on April 13th, and since I turn 28 on the 11th, I'm deeming it as a birthday gift to myself. I can't make the training classes that they have for this race, so I was just wondering if you all had any tips to help me get where I need to be by April?

Replies

• beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Try the "couch-to-5k" program. It's a plan that works up to running a 5k, just google it!
  • gem6885
    Options
    You didn't say where you are right now - do you run/jog already? I'm doing the Couch 2 5K program and I'm on my second week now. I should be 5K ready in about 12 weeks. There are so many different kinds of C25K training programs on the web. There's also a group doing it here on the forums.
  • nyusha
    nyusha Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Download Couch to 5K - it's a great program that paces you just the right way. Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    C25K!!!! You can do it!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    C25K!!! There are phone apps that make it super easy too :)
  • valleydad
    valleydad Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I wish I had done Couch to 5K (C25K) but I just started out slowly by running/walking and built myself up over time. A race in April is plenty of time to train so just start out slowly and get to 2-3 miles. I'd run at least 3-4 times a week if you can. Once or twice a week isn't enough. My first 5K was rougher than my races since then but it was a learning process. Have to start somewhere. Most importantly -- have fun with training and the race regardless of how either go.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There are numerous c25K programs out there...just go for one of those. I have one on a run app for my phone which is great because the GPS on my phone tracks my distance and estimated calorie burned...it also has a "coach" that tells me how far I've gone, my speed, and how many minutes, every 5 minutes.
  • erinn43
    erinn43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We do need to know where you are cardio wise now. Its way early to start now for this April race. I would suggest you start first walking. The Couch to 5k program is the best out there for newbies but if you want to start on your own- walk first on the mill or even outside. I would suggest first walk easy 3.0 pace for 10 minutes. Then try to sprinkle in quick bursts of speed- say a 4.0-4.5 speed for a minute. Overall I would try to do that 3 times a week. The next week, increase for longer periods but still the 3 times a week. This time though - try to add in 5 minutes or so of jogging, then back to walking. Honestly this is how I started running 16 yrs ago. I jsut slowly added it in. You were the age I was starting out as well. I know you can do it.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I got a Couch to 5k app on my Blackberry, today was day 2 of week 6, I am so impressed with the changes to my stamina already. I started by just walking in my lunch break for a couple of months, then decided to challenge myself with jogging part of the route. I'm 41, loving every minute of it, YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am a gradute of Leslie Sansone's many walking programs. lol. That and Hip Hop Abs has helped with endurance.
    When I worked out last Thursday at the gym, I did a 45 min session on the treadmill, and I was able to jog every 10 mins for 5 mins. I tried that just on a self-push and it was my first time accomplishing that.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    One method I used was interval training on the treadmill and it worked great for me in improving my performance, stamina, and helped boost my metabolism too :)

If you are a beginner to the whole running long distance I would start walking at a fast pace for 2 minutes (I use 4.2, but some prefer 4 or even 3.8), then jog at a comfortable pace for 2 minutes (whatever you could have a conversation doing), sprint for 1 minute (push yourself, not too hard, but enough to have you tired by the time 1 min is up), then walk for 2 minutes again and do the whole thing over again until you have ran/walked 3.1 miles. It's tough, but it'll make it easier and this is something you could do on opposite days and day between try just doing a easy 1 mile jog (or more if you want) on off days and work on arms and abs or legs and abs.

Once you get to a point of getting used to this you can change it up (and definitely do!! You don't want to plateau). This method has been life changing and wonderful for me. I started doing this in August of this year and could barely do 18 minutes (I was trying to go to fast though- my fault) to now I do this for 55 minutes every three days. Here is how I have modified it, walk @ 4.2 for 2 minutes, jog @ 7.2 for 3 min, sprint at 9.0 for 1 min, jog @7.2 for 3 min, and repeat the cycle until I hit 6.2 miles (training for a 10k now!). I went from barely being able to run a 5k to being able to easily run one in 22 minutes and have literally melted off 21 pounds since August (and I have still snuck in chocolate and not gained a pound!) I hope that this helps!! Good luck and maybe even bring a friend to help motivate you! Also, good blood pumping music even during the race will help keep you moving. :)
  • Ben_Diesel
    Options
    Try the "couch-to-5k" program. It's a plan that works up to running a 5k, just google it!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am a gradute of Leslie Sansone's many walking programs. lol. That and Hip Hop Abs has helped with endurance.
    When I worked out last Thursday at the gym, I did a 45 min session on the treadmill, and I was able to jog every 10 mins for 5 mins. I tried that just on a self-push and it was my first time accomplishing that.

WOO HOO! congratulations on completing 20 minutes of jogging and yes i do realize it was broken up but you did it! I starting training for my first race exactly how you are training a little bit at a time. look into the couch to 5k programs and either follow one or use it as a guide. don't push too hard too fast or you'll injure yourself. slow and steady finishes the race. :) btw i'll be 41 on april 10th. :)
  • MN_Runner2012
    Options
    Hi,
    Eight to 12 weeks should be plenty of time to train for your first 5K. There are tons of programs, as others have said. I heard the C25K is good but personally have never used it. Focus on building a good cardiovascular base and I second the suggestion to not start the training plan too soon.

Eat clean and follow your plan and you will do great. Beware, you may become addicted to running as I did. I signed up for a 5K to get me motivated to run and now I can't live without my runs and run long distance races.

Good luck!
  • erinn43
    erinn43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    PERFECT. That is how you sprinkle in the jogging. Just keep gradually adding those minutes of jogging in with the walking on the treadmill. OR outside if you can. You will start to notice your endurance getting better and as well your breathing. In NO time that 5k will be a breeze by April you keep what you are doing now up! AWESOME!